leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarification on FOGN skirmisher special capabilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick.G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Clarification on FOGN skirmisher special capabilities Reply with quote

If a light infantry unit has the "skirmisher" special capability can they go to tactical formation or form square?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mick, this is one of the problems with FoGN, the gamey nature of regular Light Infantry. Light Infantry can either deploy in tactical or skirmish. They can then change formation from one to the other. If in tactical, they can form square. Can't say I have ever come across any first hand account of Light Battalions ever changing formation in such a way in reality, typically they either deployed as a mass of skirmishers and stayed that way for the whole battle or they formed up in line or column and stayed that way.

cheers
Mark
Richard

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marks right , the most common reference to lights after about 1805 is that they operated exactly as line

However the rules allow for skirmish , then change to tactical, then to square .
Mick.G

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further reading of the Austrian corps lists enlightened me that some light infantry can ONLY be used in skirmish formation. I would then assume those units can never form square? How do you blokes read it?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, although my rules are in storage, I am pretty sure that irregular Light Foot like Grenzer can only form skirmish.

cheers
Mark
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct, except when they move into buildings. Then they are considered to be in tactical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: