leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Club Focus Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Club Focus Article Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm just putting a message out to members that I'll be popping into the LoA meeting for February to check out the games, take some fotos, chat to members about their favourite rules and so on. I'll be using this to write a small 'Club Focus article' on LoA and Nunawading Wargames Assoc for Wargames Illustrated - they seem to be genuinely curious about the club-scene in Melbourne.

Given this, I thought that members may want to bring along their best-looking armies, or organise their favourite scenarios/periods, to play with and show off to wargamers around the world. At the same time, I'm also keen to highlight the 'typical' games LoA would play at most meets - 15mm FoGA/R/N for example.

I will say, from the outset, that there is no absolute guarantee that the article will be published - I don't want people to be disappointed by high expectations. I just see it as an opportunity to show what Melb/LoA do in wargaming, and have a bit of fun doing so.

So... if you see me wandering around at the Feb meeting, interested in your games etc, gimme a friendly smile when I take a foto! Wink
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Ara! I'll ensure me and my men are wearing our Sunday best Wink
ara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Richard, much appreciated. I'll have to come and chat with you about FoGN and its popularity in LoA/Melb.
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing.

FOG N also has a big following in NZ, and quite a few players in Brisbane and Sydney. Were chatting to the Sydney guys at Cancon about maybe putting on a FOG N tournament there later in the year to help promote the rules and period. A lot of gamers there circling but not biting due to a small contingent of active players. Nothing like a tournament to give it a nudge.
ara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting topic to base some discussion on for part of the article!

I've brought up the topic of FoGN because it seems to have created a fair bit of discussion in a wargamerau topic thread:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183212&st=0

Where NSW Naps players seem to prefer AWRG, and the Brisbane players seem to want to use 28mm for their Naps gaming (including FoGN).
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who played and rather liked FoGN for non-tournament play, given the Slitherine sell off of its FoGN inventory and that FoGN is now out of print, I fear that in Monty Python "Parrot sketch" terms, FoGN is now "pining for the fjords"..... Hope I am wrong, as discussed elsewhere.

cheers
Mark
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, talking of parrots, a little bird has been whispering in my ear that there may yet be life in said parrot, aka FOG N (and the other FOGs). All hush hush but I'm told stories of smoke filled rooms, late night meetings and whispered conversations in the corridors of Whitehall (or whatever the Slitherine equivalent is).

So don't write it off just yet!
ara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me take photos and chatting with me, guys. Got a LOT of great looking fotos!

I think the thing that 'struck' me yesterday was that I finally got around to chatting with other members - actually sitting down and talking to guys I've seen in passing for many years. It was a nice opportunity to catch-up with some, and actually meet others for the first time. Part of the enjoyment of wargaming at a club, I reckon.

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep in thought Smile

Ara could you email me the shots of my Indians too please ?
ara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, not sure if I'm the last person around here to get a copy, but the June issue of Wargames Illustrated just arrived at my door. Looks like the club focus article got published (yay!). Editors have crammed in a fair few pages on Nunawading and LoA - with a few people in the pics.

Anyways, just a quick thanks to everyone who gave their time to share their games etc. If your pics aren't in there, sorry bout that decision wasn't mine, but your game is most likely discussed in the article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: