leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DBMM – latest version (2.1) released in hardcover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: DBMM – latest version (2.1) released in hardcover Reply with quote

It has finally happened. The next version of DBMM, version 2.1 has been released and is available for sale at Amazon for GBP 17 (with postage about $48 Aussie). It can be purchased from the following link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bellis-Magistrorum-Militum-Phil-Barker/dp/0956546846/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51%2BvYb%2B-CgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR111%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=FGD3EJP2KM1VHD2EJWYX

Or go to the following and search for “De Bellis Magistrorum Militum” (make sure you pick the Hardcover 2016 one):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/

It is not available for sale within Australia yet.

DBMM v 2.1 is only available in hardcover, is 78 pages and it is well put together. This may be Phil Barker’s most clearly written set of rules so far and although it does not contain pretty pictures it does have plenty of diagrams showing game mechanics.

The rules also contain 8 Army lists (NKE, Hittite Empire, Later Achaemenin Persian, Alexandrian Macedonian, Middle Anglo-Saxon, Norse Viking, 11 YW English and Med French).

The Army lists have been released for version 2.1 and can be purchased from Amazon UK here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=de+bellis+magistrorum+militum+lists&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ade+bellis+magistrorum+militum+lists

So another rule set option is on the table, so the question is should you buy it.

Personally I think it is a great set of rules and I know at least 4 people that have been to the League of Ancients have purchased a copy and are up for a game. There are reviews on the Amazon site that might help you decide.

If you are interested then let me know and we can organise a game.[/url]

Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
m.gray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liked the DBMM concepts but the marketing let them down.

Pleased to see a new version and I have bought it.
Charles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a copy of the new rules. Happy to lend them to any one who is interested.

Charles
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the following are the major pros and cons of DBMM v2.1:

Pros

Historical Feel. Everyone has their own perception of what feels historically accurate but for me a game of DBMM looks and feels historically viable. Historical army compositions and tactics work whereas weird tactics and tricks don’t. The table looks like what I think a battlefield would look like. Plus the army lists are detailed and well researched.

Scalable. DBMM works well for large battles but there are special rules for 100 and 200 army point battles that also work very well. Hence you can fight battles with a little over a dozen bases per side up to armies with over 100 bases of troops.

No Super Armies or Troops. Although some armies are better than others almost every army list can produce a competitive army, there are no stand out super armies and very few dogs. The same with troop types, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and hence their tactical uses.

No counters. This may not be important to most but it is to me, no counters or markers are used during the game. Your forces physically start to be disorganised and start taking losses rather than needing to place counters and cards behind your figures to denote what is happening to them.

Terrain Matters. The terrain rules are excellent and can have a real impact upon game play.

Rewards Good Play. Army composition, match ups and luck all have an influence but playing well is the main factor that determines who wins. To play well requires skill.

Not Predictable. There is a nice level of variety (ie not to random but not too predictable) in game play and things do not always turn out as predicted.

Mature Rules. The rules have been around long enough that anomalies and weaknesses have mostly been removed.

Army Lists. The updated army lists for 2.1 have been formally release and IMHO the DBMM army lists remain amongst the best (if not the best) army lists of any ancient or medieval ruleset.

Cons

Complexity. The rules are complex and hence not really suitable for those that like a very casual approach to wargaming. I would say the rules are of a similar level of complexity to FOG and slightly more complex than the original DBM.

Writing Style. The rules are written by Phil Barker and he has a very distict writing style that some people have difficulty with. The good news is that this is IMHO his most clearly written set of DBx rules. The rules also have loads of diagrams and tables to help with clarification.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by Craig on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Martin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the list available yet or a source on-line.

I also agree with 'No counters. This may not be important to most but it is to me, no counters or markers are used during the game. Your forces physically start to be disorganised and start taking losses rather than needing to place counters and cards behind your figures to denote what is happening to them.'

One of the big reasons i'll most likely not be playing very much if any of this new ADGL game.

Late edit: Mind you the concept of 'spent' troops in dbmm is much the same grip i have with adgl and its counters, just off board... hence why i'll always like dbm more then either of them.
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Martin. We now have 5 people playing DBMM v2.1 as their ancients and medieval ruleset of choice, plus a few others who have recently expressed interest in joining a game. Hence there are enough DBMM players to ensure you can find an opponent.

I have also updated the original post to provide a link to the updated Army lists for version 2.1.

We plan to run regular games at the LoA so if you are interested in giving the rules a go, let me know and join us for a game.

The present regular DBMM players are:

- Craig (ie me)
- Charles
- Ewan
- Michael
- Martin
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit I did enjoy the rules new changes overall in comparison to old dbm, of course there are a few hiccups and things I don't 100% agree with but that's the case in most rule sets.

I'm looking forward to more games and the upcoming teams game of Crusaders vs the accursed Turks.

The more players playing it the merrier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: