leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1809 French Infantry Corps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: 1809 French Infantry Corps Reply with quote

Just a small thing that I have always found difficult to understand is the rating of the Hessians in this list. (I think the rest of the list is fine.) There are two points:
1/ To the best of my knowledge the Hessian Chevau-legers were not a guard formation. Their performance definitely rates veteran status, but not guard I think.
2/ The infantry consisted of two brigades, the Leib-Garde brigade and the Leib brigade, each of three battalions. (This was at the outset of the campaign.)
The Leib-Garde brigade contained the Leib-Garde Regiment (2 batt.) and the Leib-Garde Fusiliers (1batt.)
The Leib brigade contained one batt. of Leib Fusiliers, one batt. of line Fusiliers and one batt. of line Musketeers.
Both are currently rated as Average Veteran.
From my reading of their battlefield performance, this rating is appropriate for the Leib brigade, however I think the Leib-Garde brigade should be Superior Veteran. Rating them as guard is too much I think, but their fight in Aspern, returning many times to the attack, justifies superior I think.
Also, there should be an option to have them as small units to reflect their losses, (especially after Aspern-Essling), and detachment of battalions during the campaign (to protect LOS). So unit size of 4-6 with a maximum of 6 bases in each brigade.
Thoughts??
jonathanmoore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the 1912 campaign in the retreat the Leib Garde were attached to the French Guard.
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I bounced your question off Mike who wrote the lists. He says the Chevau-Leger should not be Guard (apparently he did mention this on the Slitherine forum a while ago).

I don't have a strong opinion on rating of troops as it can be so subjective. If there is an example of them fighting like superior veterans then why not allow it?

Your point on unit sizes also makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: