leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When the target of an assault moves away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Green

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: When the target of an assault moves away Reply with quote

Two questions about when the target of an assault moves away:
1/ The rule says that the assaulters "may" wheel to the next nearest target that was within 2MU of the original target. I take this to mean that this is a choice and not mandatory, and that the assaulters can elect to follow the original target, is that correct? If I launch an assault at a wavering unit that breaks from its test and the nearest alternative is, say, the Old Guard Grenadiers a Cheval with Napoleon attached Shocked , I might not want to go there!!

2/ Is it possible to intercept an assault which has been re-directed? The new path could make this possible.
And is it possible to intercept through a unit of abandoned artillery? For example, the original target is a unit of artillery that has a unit of infantry next to it and a unit of cav behind it. The artillery fails its test to stand and fire, and the assault is re- directed on to the infantry. As the artillery is now abandoned, and therefor not technically a friendly unit, could the cavalry then intercept through the artillery's position? I hope that makes sense Confused
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

You are correct in saying that it is optional for pursuers to hit a new target. But, remember they MUST pursue the original target and only have the option of hitting a new target if they can't catch the original target. We could probably spell that out more clearly the rules as it is only implied I think.

Also, remember pursuers must 1st wheel to line up parallel with retirers before making their pursuit move.

I would say you can't intercept re-directed charges as in the sequence of play you would already have declared responses to charges before testing so you would only know the charge had been directed after this.

And yes you can move freely through abandoned guns.
Steve Green

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: intercepting a re-directed charge.

The first bullet point under Assaulters whose Target has Moved Away states that "the new target......responds as if it were the original target."

This doesn't seem to fit with your argument about the sequence of play, as by the logic of that reasoning the new target should not be allowed to respond at all. To me this implies that there is actually another step in the sequence that is contingent upon a charge being re-directed.

If the new target can respond "as if it were the original target" why then is a unit standing next to it not permitted to make a response, and have to stand there and do nothing?
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your logic Steve and I suppose one could write the rule to reflect that. However, the way it is currently written does not allow it and I think is probably the simplest solution.
BPT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

To answer your original question (1), this issue was picked up after the Nicon tournament. The latest version (which Richard emailed out to punters on 12th June) has the 2nd bullet point on p18 amended to:

"If no new target is available and selected or if the assaulting unit is impetuous, the unit completes its full move distance in the direction of the original assault." [I have bolded the new bit].

So if you elect not to target a new unit within 2MU, assaulters carry on straight ahead.

Hope that answers the question.

Cheers
Brett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: