leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAURICE GAME IN MARCH. Any takers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: MAURICE GAME IN MARCH. Any takers? Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Is anyone interested in having a crack at MAURICE in March. I'm happy to provide two 28mm Armies and umpire the game for two or more players over the course of the day.
Ultimately I'd like to start a campaign.
Cheers
Scott Very Happy
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Michael Bornstein



Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 825

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to be available in the morning and will have a campaign game or two in the afternoon.

A campaign could be interesting
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Frosty



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 115

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing a Might & Reason game at the next meeting with 4 players already arranged. But more than happy to play Maurice at later meetings.
Maurice is a great individual game. But M&R and Black Powder are ideal for mutli player games.

Happy to start a Maurice campaign any time. At least 6 players at LOA would have enough 28mm figures (some of us have 2 armies!).

My only other issue is the deadly fire option. I personally would ban it from games as its just too effective. And yes I know you can miss on some turns but overall it is a massive advantage at any point level!

Frosty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
I am doing a Might & Reason game at the next meeting with 4 players already arranged. But more than happy to play Maurice at later meetings.
Maurice is a great individual game. But M&R and Black Powder are ideal for mutli player games.Frosty


Agreed Wink

Frosty wrote:
Happy to start a Maurice campaign any time. At least 6 players at LOA would have enough 28mm figures (some of us have 2 armies!).

My only other issue is the deadly fire option. I personally would ban it from games as its just too effective. And yes I know you can miss on some turns but overall it is a massive advantage at any point level!

Frosty


I've no problem with 'banning' lethal Volleys, though I disagree that its a massive advantage at 'any point level' Very Happy
If it's banned then no-one gets it, so that's fair I guess.
I'l post a 'Call To Arms' for a Maurice campaign starting in April then.
Cheers
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Patonius



Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 185
Location: Attwood, Melbourne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no army...BUT do own the rules, and would love to play if you have two armies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andrew v I



Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 77
Location: Flemington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
We tried Maurice for the first time yesterday. We tried adapting it for ECW. To be honest, I found the card system to be a bit of fun, but otherwise just silly. Nothing happened on our left wing because we could never spare the cards. Maybe the battle we tried was just too big. We are going to try to adapt Might and Reason for ECW as the next option.

Frosty, i would be interested in your M and R game if you have any berths left.

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patonius wrote:
I have no army...BUT do own the rules, and would love to play if you have two armies.


Hi Patonius Very Happy
Yep, I have two armies so no problem there.
Would you like to play in the morning or afternoon?
Cheers
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew v I wrote:
Hi
We tried Maurice for the first time yesterday. We tried adapting it for ECW. To be honest, I found the card system to be a bit of fun, but otherwise just silly. Nothing happened on our left wing because we could never spare the cards. Maybe the battle we tried was just too big. We are going to try to adapt Might and Reason for ECW as the next option.

Frosty, i would be interested in your M and R game if you have any berths left.

Regards


Hi Andrew v I
The reason nothing happened on a flank is because you chose not to invest the Command and Control on that flank. Smile I hope that's doesn't sound harsh. I'm just pointing out that MAURICE puts you in the position of having to make hard choices about where you will attack, maneuver ect.
It's one of the reasons I like MAURICE so much. It is one of the few rule systems out there that models the 'Friction' of battle that was a trade mark of the period so well.
Look at any battle of the period, (including the ECW) and you will see that coordinated actions on separate wings rarely occurred. Shocked
Fontenoy is a good example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fontenoy
Usually the command would try and force a decision at one point, and then if that failed either try somewhere else, or withdraw.
If you want to be able to easily coordinate your wings / flanks to battle the enemy simultaneously then probably you will not find MAURICE to you liking. Wink

I've got about 5 or 6 MAURICE AAR's on my blog that might be of interest:
http://trailape.blogspot.com.au/search/label/MAURICE
Cheers Very Happy
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Andrew v I



Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 77
Location: Flemington

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I understand why we didn't move anything on our left flank, I just don't much like the system. The mechanics of it are just a bit too gamey for me, although it is wonderfully well thought out and written. We thought that it would be fun for smaller battles, like something in the AWI, but I just don't see how it can cope with larger battles (and that is notwhat it is aimed at anyway).

I don't accept the premise that the Maurice card system models the friction of battle in a credible way or that co-ordinated actions are such a rarity. The first examples that came into my head were Marlborough (and Eugene where applicable) at Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde and Malplaquet. All involved co-ordinated actions and I don't recall Marlborough being unable to issue orders to his left flank forces because he had run out of cards.

It might explain where I am coming from if I say that we disregarded the control test provisions of Fast Play Grande Armee and Might and Reason and substituted a simple process for issuing, conveying and activating orders. This seemed more sensible than the control tests, which could, as I have seen in a Dresden game, see the Guard Cavalry decide half way through their charge that they would really rather retreat back (in that case, several feet, as they had to clear friends that were in the way).

I am sure that Maurice would produce a fun game in a small battle (which is what it is stated to be aimed at), I just like a bit more system to command and control (with scope for friction included in the system).

Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew v I wrote:

I am sure that Maurice would produce a fun game in a small battle (which is what it is stated to be aimed at), I just like a bit more system to command and control (with scope for friction included in the system).

Regards


Hi Andrew.
Not sure where you get the idea it's aimed at 'Small' battles.
As stated on the MAURICE site it's a flexible scale:
"Maurice has a flexible scale. The game’s mechanics “stretch” so that you can use it for any scale you desire. You can play the little battles in the colonies or the American Revolution, or the great pitched battles of the European wars".
Anyway, one man's trash is another's treasure and the style of this game won't appeal to all.
Smile
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cawdorthane



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 963

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be up for a game of Maurice in April with my 28mm 7YW. I can field either Russians or Prussians, or for that matter British or French!

cheers
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cawdorthane wrote:
I should be up for a game of Maurice in April with my 28mm 7YW. I can field either Russians or Prussians, or for that matter British or French!

cheers
Mark


Hi Mark
I hope to kick off a Campaign in April, so would you be interested in joining in?
Either way, I'm sure we could get a game of MAURICE in for you in April.
Use whichever army you prefer.
Very Happy
BTW, how have you based your 28s?
Cheers
Scott
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
trailape



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Location: Broadford VIC, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trailape wrote:
Patonius wrote:
I have no army...BUT do own the rules, and would love to play if you have two armies.


Hi Patonius Very Happy
Yep, I have two armies so no problem there.
Would you like to play in the morning or afternoon?
Cheers


Hi Patonius
Have you decided on what time you'd like to play?
Cheers
Scott
_________________
I am my Brother's Keeper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cawdorthane



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 963

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infantry are 20mm square (metallic bases + magnets) so BW is 60mm

Cavalry are 25x50mm (metallic bases + magnets) so 8 cavalry can make a unit on 60mm BW.

Keen to give Maurice a go, but work and family probably preclude a campaign for me just at the moment....

cheers
Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Patonius



Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 185
Location: Attwood, Melbourne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to play in the morning if you are free.

Darren
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group