leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another "clarification".....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Green

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Another "clarification"..... Reply with quote

Ok, here we go again....

The rule book states that squares and skirmishers get 3 dice at close range (p.49 I think). There is also the POA that skirmishers get a '-' when firing at close range.

Apparently back in 2012 Shocked there was a discussion about this on the forum, and the result of this was:

Skirmishers now get the same dice as formed infantry at close range - 4 or 6 (small and large) if in tactical, 4 or 6 per half unit if in line.
They still get the '-' POA for skirmishers shooting at close range.

This change has been made on the most recent QRS, but did not appear in any of the official rules errata.
It is apparently official, as it came from Terry - "he who must be obeyed".

In my post on the forum when this question was asked, I mentioned that if the body of the rules conflicts with the QRS, I would always think the rules should take precedence.
The response to this was that we should take the QRS as being correct, as it is more likely to be up to date Shocked Shocked .

I really like these rules, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
Just when I think I have got a pretty good handle on all the rules, something like this happens.
I made a suggestion that all "official" changes should be gathered together in a separate topic on the forum index.
Be interested to see if anything comes of it...

Here endeth the rant..
Carriage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of casual/campaign play, I think we can just decide on what to use (even on a game by game, roll a die basis). It's only an issue for tournaments really.
Steve Green

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've calmed down a bit now.
It is just a little frustrating when something on the forum gets decided, but is not included in the official errata.
I'm also a bit dodgy on the idea that an updated QRS should be considered as an errata - it shouldn't over-rule the actual body of the rulebook IMHO.

I really do think it is fast approaching time for a V.2 reprint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: