leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Wars approaches!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Little Wars approaches! Reply with quote

I am running a Lone Pine game using Great War by Warhammer Historical. So if anyone attending LW wants to help, it would be great to have a co-organiser.

cheers
Mark
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another great Little Wars has come and gone. It was a fabulous day of gaming, figure/terrain shopping and catching up with wargames stalwarts whom I now only seem to see once a year at this event such as David Tan.

My only grumble was [again!] the poor lighting in the main gaming area, which for my aging eye sight at least, seriously diminished the visual splendour of the day. I raised this as did several others after last year and I was disappointed that nothing was done to address this real problem. Nic tells me that the cost of arranging the big stage lighting over head would be $250 and so if 50 gamers each kicked in $5 as a table cost for gamer-organisers, then that would solve the problem.

I said to Nic that I see it as a major problem with an otherwise amazing event, and I see it as being so severe that I would not myself organise a game for next year unless I was assured that the lighting would be fixed. Just about everyone I spoke to mentioned the poor lighting too.

Otherwise, the day went off really well. The LoA/Berwick crew put on at least 5 games ranging from 1950's Martians vs US Marines (Frosty & co), 6mm Waterloo using the new Bluecher rules (Nick W, Ray Ashton et al), 28mm SYW Star Fort assault (Peter R, Bish and Wal et al), Command & Colours (Brian H) and my 28mm Lone Pine game for the Great War rules.

I ran my Lone Pine game using the same concepts I freely pinched from fantasy dungeon bashing games like good old Hero Quest and Advanced Hero Quest. The Australian assault squads successively drew random trench sections with randomly determined defenders as the Aussies advanced in the hope of finally securing the Turkish reserve trench line. I was really pleased with how smoothly it all went and ultimately I ran the game 3 times (although as the third game involved total restarts by both Australian players, it probably counted as a double game!). The scenario was quick and fun with lots of laughs all round. I will definitely run this again, maybe at the October LoA meeting to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Lone Pine.

So well done to the organisers. Hopefully the lighting issue will be fixed for next year, otherwise it was a first class day all round provided through the great efforts of both organisers and game presenters, which was well attended by throngs of hard core and newbie wargamers alike.

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, the game was a LOT of fun, thansk for running it. I think it'll run great as a three player game again.

Only minor suggestion is to have the starting Aussies with three tile gap (not one as it was) between them.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karsten, always great to have you on board! It actually started as a 3 tile gap, but when you went left and James went right as your initial moves, then it became 1!

cheers
Mark
Captain Darling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: LW Lone Pine Reply with quote

Any pictures of the games?

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
von Lucky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - that's right!

Cap'n:
https://www.facebook.com/littlewarsaustralia/photos_stream?ref=page_internal
Captain Darling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: LWM 2015 Reply with quote

Thanks Von Lucky!

Some interesting pics there...is the a Battle of the Bulge movie King Tiger there?

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: