leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential Dystopian Wars campaign - any interest?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pawprint

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Potential Dystopian Wars campaign - any interest? Reply with quote

Hello everyone – Michael here. I have been attending LOA meetings for a while now but am new to the forums, so please bear with me. Whilst talking to Ara last meeting, he expressed an interest in a Dystopian Wars campaign to be run at LOA and wondered if anyone was crazy enough to run one. I believe I am that crazy Razz , and so I’m posting this as a combination of announcement, forum poll and feedback loop to judge interest.

If you would be interested in playing a D-Wars campaign, please post in this thread to confirm. In addition, I want to get a feel for what most club members think of when they hear the word “campaign”, so as to create something everyone will enjoy. I will list what I think will work best and invite feedback from potential players about what they do or don’t like about it.

Since LOA meets only once a month, a more narrative or “pseudo-historical” campaign may serve better than a league or ladder-type one, with fewer & larger battles rather than many small ones. Ongoing commitment to any campaign is a problem, and since LOA also hosts tournament days and people may be committed to other game systems, playing something like 2-out-of-3 meetings rather than every month may work better. Another option is for players to join one of 2-3 teams (based on the factional alliances) so that as long as one player per team shows up to play, any battles can be resolved.

Long campaigns allow the build-up of stories and a strategic view, but are harder for people to commit to. Logistics should be involved in some form, but many people don’t like tracking that stuff themselves. A few simple limits on force composition and available resources should suffice to make things interesting without getting too complicated.

Would people want a large map brought to meetings to track movement of units and progress in general? It would serve as a focal point but may limit some options. Should strategic movement be limited by the map placement of various forces? Do people want the fog of war? If I act as a neutral referee, there can be hidden movement, dirty tricks and espionage of some sort Twisted Evil to give advantages to tactical battles. I can also update the map so players can plan their next moves based on what changed since last time.

Given that we are playing a game rather than fighting a real war, would people be happy with uneven force values in battles based on what was sent? Would people rather fight normal, even battles and have their results affect a pool of victory or influence points to see which side was gaining ground? The problem here is if the force imbalance is too great, the table top game is no fun for half the players, which is not the goal of the campaign.

At this stage I have some ideas but no firm convictions yet. I mainly would like to know who is interested in playing in this and their preferences for length and style. Also, please use your preferred name since I have no clue whose forum handle is whose. If there is enough interest, I will post further ideas and start organizing things.

Later,
Michael

Last edited by Pawprint on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jared

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, great to see that you finally made it onto the forum. Looking at other campaigns run by the League, this does seems the best way to organize and communicate with players.

I would like to nominate my modest Italian fleet to play in any campaign you are going to run. I like Almost all you are proposing and am a big fan of intrigue, espionage and fog of war. Maps are also loads of fun but do add a further logistical layer for you, the umpire. My own infrequent trips to the club mean I would prefer a system flexible enough to cater for fleets that might go 'missing' for sometime before popping up again- perhaps in conjunction with a more reliable ally or two. And, yes, I am also a big fan of any narrative that can be generated.
ara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

lemme see. What I would like in a campaign:

I like a map - more as a reference point for strategies, alliances and locations (and, of course, bragging rights) rather than a sole determinant of 'army points' available.

Intrigue and spying etc are all good fun, a bit of roleplaying to add flavour is good too!

Flexibility for those of us who can only make meetings intermittently.

I like the alliances/factions idea - to help cover for me when I'm not there, and to make up for my gumby-like play. Mad

I don't mind playing uneven forces - an uneven battle could actually be a rearguard action or a feint

---

Main goals for me are fun, flavour and a reason to play some more games with more people - happy to do whatever in terms of the campaign-system, as long as these subjective goals are met.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Michael!

I have KoB and Prussians. Campaigns are a great way to promote games and are usually popular. If you look at the Napoleonics and Ancients threads you will see two campaigns already under way. They both follow a similar model of having roughly equal sized armies, sometimes subject to previous campaign performance, with players fighting to accrue prestige/victory points/gold gongs or whatever else you want to use to score. That is a good basic model which has gradually become most popular at the LoA.

We have run big map based campaigns over the years, with diplomacy and the scope to gang up on opponents for some very one sided battles, but that model seems to have largely gone out of vogue. Campaigns playable over 6 or so months also seem more viable and popular although I think Lyle's Ancient Roman campaign may have clicked over its first birthday. Do not let me discourage you but in my experience the more heavy a commitment you ask for from your players, the greater will be the attrition rate as time goes by. Also, most LoA members try to squeeze in 2 games at a meeting and so it is best to ensure that campaign commitments rarely require more than a morning or afternoon.

So if I were you I would not try to be too ambitious but to try first to identify how many players are interested. Then subject to the most popular system, perhaps go along the lines of a round robin approach that encourages and rewards playing tabletop games. Using some of the set piece scenarios from the Campaign Books could be a nice idea to avoid same old same old encounter type games.

I have run and played in many campaigns at the LoA over the years and I cannot extoll enough the virtue of applying the K.I.S.S. principle which will usually produce less work for the referee and more fun for the players. Ara is right that some map work and diplomacy can be fun, but they should not be the tail wagging the dog, and as long as that all facilitates good fun games then your system will be working!

Speaking personally, Tyler's Napoleonic Campaign is a really good example of a more simple campaign system that is really working.

So count me in. my fleets/armies are currently in storage but can retrieved if there is enough temptation out there for me Laughing

cheers
Mark
ara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, I have a lot of Republique of France, and a starter box of Nippon - all painted and ready to go.
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested

I have a fair amount of Prussians and FSA
Pawprint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

So far we have four people on the forum and a further two without current forum access all wanting in, so I'm proceeding with the planning and support for this. Further updates as we go. If we reach 9-12 players I'll post for a slowdown in recruitment, just to keep myself sane before organizing everything - although that much support would guarantee multiple battles being fought every meeting!

Yours,
Michael
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested too. I have an Empire of Britannia fleet and a small Prussian fleet. Are you intending to just fight fleet battles?

A few notes on campaigns.
It is better to aim for a campaign that will run for a short period of time than a longer one. If at the end of the campaign all players are still interested in playing then it is easy to extend the campaign, possibly fast forwarding a couple of years (game time) so that all players start the new campaign on an equal footing.

All players should have a chance to interact to some degree during the campaign. I have played in a campaign where I had to fight the same opponent for most of the campaign. It all ends up being a bit of a drag.

Most players want to be generals (or admirals in this case) and not quartermasters so don't give the players too much paperwork to do.

My five cents worth.

Regards
Martin Morgan
Mercenary Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to log in.

You can count my Prussians and myself in to.

Roger
Pawprint

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Well, with eight players showing interest, I'm capping recruiting here. I will post more details next week but wanted to mention something quickly - I was not planning to organize any campaign-related battles at the next club meeting (August 16th). I was hoping to start from the September meeting (and to avoid any clash with the AGM/membership renewals).

I will begin organizing the meaty details of the campaign from next week on. The plan is for a modified version of the first Dystopian Wars campaign guide, Hurricane Season, featuring an Imperial Bond invasion of the Caribbean territories of the Kingdom of Britannia and Federated States of America.

Until next time!
Michael A
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The September meeting is the Saga Competition and I for one will be hors d'combat for that reason.

cheers
Mark
Pawprint

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. The campaign is on, so I have started a new thread for the first turn and player activities. Please look for it in this sub-forum.

Thank you,
Michael A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: