leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DW Campaign: Hurricane Season - Phase 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jared,
Thanks... Not looking for favours, happy to play either way, just thought Id table a potential small tweak that might avoid the need to take a phase out to repair. Good to hear you'll be able to make it next time.
Guy
Mercenary Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I have been quite lucky. I have drawn or won my two games and my total repair/replacement bill for both games combined is only 8 CP.

Compare that to Barry and Martin, who each have lost a large destroyed, which is 5 CP by itself plus the additional damaged/lost medium and small vessels.

I'm not sure of your damage bill Guy but I do know you were at 6 CP after our first game. Plus what ever Barry added to that.

I've spoken to Barry via phone and he to will stay in dry dock for phase 2 as well. Which makes it unanimous for those that have played so far.

Maybe we look at having two pools of CP. One for combat and if you do participate in a game, it unlocks a second pool only for repair/replacement in the next phase.

thought ?
Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
Like you I've drawn one, and won one... nett result is 9 down (I think).

Michael, are you happy for us to all spend phase 2 in dry dock and move straight through to phase 3?

Also, it sounds as though I might be the only GC player next time - To keep everyone involved, I could probably field a double size fleet to fight against 2 players (although might need some allowance for extra repairs to recover afterwards... and maybe delete/limit "dirty tricks" for this phase). Thought I'd offer.

Guy
Pawprint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

It seems that the campaign structure I had devised isn't working as well as I'd hoped, mainly through having the same regular players showing up each week - which negates the advantages of the teams. I've also had suggestions that a change in structure may help.

So, what do people think? Would you guys prefer to switch back to pick-up games arranged in advance, so people know who's showing up with which sizes of fleet and just play on the day? Do you want to "reboot" the campaign with a new structure and starting everyone fresh?

One option Roger mentioned is to have everyone playing a fleet or three of their chosen faction and pairing up with another player who runs the opposition force, or "OpFor", as a generic sample of the enemy. No player's fleet directly faces off against another player's fleet and people can be sure of having a game either as their own fleet or as the opposition. If your forces get pasted, that fleet sits out and another takes the stage at the next meeting. If your OpFor fleet gets pasted, it's OK since they're not "really" your units. Please let me know if anyone thinks this might be preferable.

I'm still showing up at the November meeting so please ask me about all these options and more. We can figure something out and go from there.

Cheers,
Michael A

P.S. Jared, I'm still available to play you if there's no campaign game set up, so you're covered!
Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
Just to say up front that I was enjoying the campaign, so thanks for making the effort to get it started. I'm keen to get some games in and thought it was good to have the campaign context that they fit in. Given this, I'd be keen to go with the re-boot option. My thoughts regarding changes....
In my view, the basics of your campaign worked well, but there were two key points that were pulling it back:
1) If you fought more battles, you were bound to take losses need to make repairs and therefore likely to have less cps in the next battle than a player who'd played less, therefore more likely to take more losses in that battle ... and so on.
2) Different numbers of people on each team turning up resulted in some players not getting a game.

My suggestion is to stick with your current format (after all you've already got the rules in place so keeps work down), but make the following changes:
1) take repairs out of use of cp's and instead allow each player up to 5 points (or whatever number feels right) of reinforcements/repair after each battle fought. Maybe reduce cps for dirty tricks etc to 3 or 4.
2) If an inbalance in team players on a given day, allow one of the players with lower number of players to field two fleets in a single game against two opposing team players. Would need to allow that player double repair and cps to keep it balanced (and maybe balance air support).
Otherwise, I think your current rule set would be OK as is. Other option for the inbalance of players would be for you as ref to have a standing "neutral Opfor" that chooses to interfere and take on the spare player's fleet.
My concern with Roger's OPFOR fleet idea is that it would have no interest in self preservation -therefore encouraging more Kamikaze type approach for the OPFOR player than for own fleet.

Just some thoughts - happy to go with whatever works best for everyone.
Cheers
Guy
Mercenary Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael and I spoke over the weekend and I was expecting him to post some comments / updates by now.

We spoke about going to 1000 point / 75 SV max games and allowing allies and mercenaries.

More detailed tracking of individual units.

altered CP spending

removing repairs and replacements from CP and having an independent system for repairs and replacement.

Having just a single fleet per player to give a greater "my fleet" feel.

with all that in mind, it might pay for each player to bring a 1000 point / 75 SV max fleet and to have it documented (written in list format) to the next meeting, which is this Sunday 15th Nov.

Keep in mind that the club will be open both days at 9:30am for a tournament but we will only be doing DW on the Sunday.

cheers
Roger
Guy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,
Thanks for the update. I'll bring the whole fleet along and work something out on the day. Unfortunately I will only be around for the morning - are you up for a game- think we should be able to get a result in 3 hours if we try.

Michael- I assume real life has got in the way. Hope all is OK.
Cheers
Guy
mercwithamouth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: missing tomorrow Reply with quote

G'day pawprint, I know I said i'd make the game tomorrow but this plane trip from America has beaten the hell out of me and I don't think I'mm be up for a game tomorrow. Could I possibly arrange to play someone next week so I'm still contributing to the campaign?
Mercenary Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

please check the forum topics for information on a reboot of the Dystopia Wars campaign.

regards
Roger
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the campaign going to be running at the December meeting. My British fleet is looking for another outing.

I like the idea of separating command points from repair points.

For spending of command points I would suggest that each player could put a standard sized fleet to sea for 0 CP's. Then extra CP's could be spent on:
* special ops - with more victory points on offer or perhaps a chance to take an enemy port.
* increasing the size of the fleet
* sabotage, espionage etc.

If we have multiple players from each side at a meeting then match the fleet sizes as close as possible. I don't think it is necessary for all battles to be even, that is the joy of playing a campaign.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

Regards
Martin
Mercenary Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, good to hear from you.

We can certainly organise a campaign game for you. If you PM me your email address, I can send you the revised campaign primer. Basically restart with a 1,000 point fleet based upon a Naval Starter Box (v2) for your chosen faction.

As it is a total reboot, you can change your faction if you wish. If you don't have a v2 Naval starter, we can build something based upon the models you do have, if you can provide a list.

The team thing didn't really work, so each player is for themselves but victory is based upon achieving objectives, not just destroying the enemy fleet.

Games will be a bit more even than what you may have experienced in the past.

cheers
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: