leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any interest in SYW "īmagi-Nations"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishnak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Any interest in SYW "īmagi-Nations"? Reply with quote

I've been wondering if anyone else at the club is interested in starting a fictional SYW campaign? The reason I ask is that I have been buying the "Battlegames" magazine over the past 12 months or so (like many others I'm sure). With each new issue I have found myself following the progress of the "Wars of the Faltenian Succession" series of articles. In the articles the author describes setting up and running a campaign between fictional states set in the 18th Century.

Since this concept first piqued my interest, I've been searching the net for similar stuff and it seems that there are actually quite a few people out there doing similar things. On sites like the "Old School Wargames" Yahoo Group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/old_school_wargaming/) and many other personal blogs, people have set up their own fictional 18th Century states (known collectively as "Imagi-Nations"). They then use them as the basis for their SYW gaming and collecting, but with a bit of a fictional twist. There are varying degrees to which people get involved in the fictional side of things. At the low end, some people basically build historical armies (or use their existing armies) for gaming in the SYW period, but also proxy these as their fictional units for their own "imagi-Nation" (eg. they might proxy their historically painted Prussian army as the armies of their fictional state of "Prussonia" ) . Other people use mainly historical armies, but include small allied contingents from their fictional countries (eg. a historical French army might have been sent an allied brigade or two from their fictional allies, the "Franconians"). Then there are people who go right into developing their "imagi-Nation" and develop a map, history, personalities of leaders, flags and armies. They develop their "imagi-Nation's" wargames army, complete with the structure and history of the army, designing the uniform colours and embellishments, regimental colours etc. There are plenty of sites with people's blogs describing their nations and uniforms, as well as campaign blogs and even templates of various uniform types that people can use to develop their own uniforms and colour schemes. (see: http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/ for the templates, and also quite a few links to imagi-Nation blogs).

This is the kind of thing that is discussed in the Battlegames articles. It seems like the 18th Century is the most common setting for these imagi-nations as the uniforms were nice and colourful, whilst still being generic enough in design to allow pretty much any range or nationality of minis from the period to be used as the basis for the fictional armies (or a mix of any of these). Historically there were also quite a few small principalties, duchies, kingdoms etc that the small fictional imagi-Nation states are more plausible to be fitted into the context of 18th century Europe (or fictional "Europa", or whatever) than some other periods. There's no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with Napoleonics or any other period of course, but it just seems that 18th Century gaming is the most common and 'accepted' period in which to base these fictional countries. The extent to which people want to develop their backgrounds is up to them, but it looks like a lot of fun can be had with it. For example, some of the fictional European countries online have even colonised other fictional continents and have now spread their fictional continental wars to their colonies (thus enabling people to introduce AWI minis, Indians etc).

Anyway, I kinda like the idea of all this as I'd like to exercise my imagination a bit and design some uniform colours, flags etc whilst still using historical minis and rules for historical games. So if anyone else is interested in this kind of idea, please let me know. My leaning at the moment would be towards the SYW, as that seems to be the norm, but if others want to get involved and would prefer a different period then I'm open to suggestions? Likewise, I haven't really decided on a scale for the minis yet, but am leaning towards either 6mm or 28mm at the moment. 6mm would be quick to paint and collect, and much cheaper but would be lacking in some detail if people want to go to the trouble of designing uniforms etc. 28mm would be more spectacular and players could have much more fun designing and painting uniforms and standards for the fictional regiments, but they'd be more expensive and time consuming to paint. I can see benefits in both, but if others are interested in participating in this hare-brained scheme then I think it would be best to reach a group consensus amongst those participating?

I'll be coming along to the club on Sunday and will be keen to discuss this idea with anyone else that's interested.

cheers,

bish
leadgend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rules? As the owner of a reasonably large Russian army in 15mm I think you should consider 15-18mm scale, especially as Eureka is bringing out a an 18mm 7YW range of similar quality to the 18mm AB Napoleonics.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya ,
Campaigns are simply THE BEST FUN you can have in gaming IMHO .
I would suggest 15mm as well .
My only problem - I hate SYW and tricorns !
Napoleonic ,I'm in , but regardless ,it's a great idea .
dapooley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SYW vs Richard's Napoleonics vs my FPW Twisted Evil

i'd like a campaign system that takes advantage of good maps which can then be used for battlefields - not just sectors with a predominant terrain feature.
Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campaigning raises my interest! I'll keep an eye on this post. I have a small collection of 18mm Naps I'm willing to expand, and have finally placed my first order to Adler for 6mm Naps.

Cheers Wink
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the board game "Empire in Arms" would adapt well for rules....
jared

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get a kick out of the websites these guys set up. In amongst everything else I'm trying to collect and paint I would definitely be interested in something like this. I am currently assembling a 6mm 7YW army (no tricorn-phobia here!) but agree that a larger scale would better accomodate the uniform possibilities.

One thing I agree with Richard about is campaigning. They are bloody hard to run so I would be right behind anybody at the club who was willing to give one a go.
steveb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole-heartedly support a move to 18mm SYW armies!!! Any excuse to have more opposition to my slowly growing forces. Of course I have my own special organisation/basing....which is reasonably close to use with Might & Reason. My own rules are a WIP but M&R will do for now for anyone wanting a quick start. I know Michael B has forces which he is always keen to run as well.
Richard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ,big call here .
I'm not a fan of SYW , but campaigns are fun for all . That means ....I'll umpire it Shocked
I'll need us to work out campaign rules together though , how much diplomacy ? income /expenditures ? etc ,etc
bishnak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
OK ,big call here .
I'm not a fan of SYW , but campaigns are fun for all . That means ....I'll umpire it Shocked
I'll need us to work out campaign rules together though , how much diplomacy ? income /expenditures ? etc ,etc

Hey that would be cool - and that's a very generous offer. How about we get together and discuss it at some point on Sunday? I'll have a bit of a think about some rules, and maybe others could do likewise?

bish
leadgend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a complete Sport of Kings campaign game for 7YW for Age of Reason that I've modified to produce a better game and run at the NSGA a couple of years ago. It could easily be modified for M&R or other tabletop rules and different maps.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man ,I LOVE the words "complete " Very Happy
Bring it along and we can start "tweaking"
leadgend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring along a copy you can look at.
bishnak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at my copy of the Might and Reason Rules today. I for one would be more than happy to use them for the campaign. They are very similar to the Grande Armee rules a few of us will be using for Napoleonics anyway. Thi should result in less confusion swapping between and playing different rules systems (always a problem for me!).

Funnily enough they also have a campaign system at the back of the book - and on first skim, they actually look pretty good. The rules also provide points-based army lists, which makes it easy to convert armies into into campaign points (and vice versa) based on resources or national maximum army sizes calculated using whatever logic may be chosen.

M&R looks pretty "campaign-friendly", with simple Strength Point based units, good rules for deployment and scouting, weather and length of battle, command rules (and personality of commanders) and good rules (IMO) for determining victory and the after battle results. All will fit easily into a campaign setting.

It' looking good... Very Happy

bish
Tristan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... think it's possible that Shakos could have been invented 50 years earlier in this imagi-Nation..? Happy getting Naps for Grande Armee... will never get anything finished if I also get 7YW for this...

Cheers Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: