leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any interest in SYW "īmagi-Nations"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Late War FoW, and GdB Naps, and Naps Naval, and now Grande Armee Naps, and a very young family with another nipper due end of Feb, that's a tall ask..! Shocked Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Exactly how many miniatures are we talking about in 180pts..? What exact rules was decided on for battles? (I only saw mention of the campaign system coming from M&R).

I can't collect another era in 18mm, so that leaves me with only a very small collection of 1809-1813 Peninsular British figures... If that's acceptable, then It's a possibility for me... as I said, if shakos are invented 50 years earlier Wink Razz

Cheers Wink
leadgend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're going to use M&R as the tactical rules too.

M&R basing has 10-12 infantry in two ranks or 5-6 cavalry in one rank on a base with 2 bases to a unit. Typically units cost about 8-10 points, more for guards etc, less for garrison troops etc. Artillery are a couple of model guns with crews on a single base per unit, generally costing 8-10 points. Generals are one or two figures on a smaller base, you'll want 1 per 3-4 units.

Elite forces like Prussians need relatively few figures as not only do you get less points but the good units are expensive. Russians and French are huge in comparison.

Last edited by leadgend on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jared

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, any thoughts on running the campaign as normal but then giving players the option to fight battles in 6 or 18mm depending on what they have available? There shouldn't be too many players unable to assemble a 6mm army in time for February and it would make it possible for all interested parties to be included.
leadgend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the basing is compatible then it doesn't really matter what scale figures you use. I reccomend looking at Baccus miniatures to do 6mm SYW figures on 60mm x 30mm bases as that's exactly what they use for their own rules so the figures come in 20mm blocks.
steveb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Feb I am planning on having my Prussians and Austrians finished (optimism!) and a reasonable chunk of some russians...

This should help out the 18mm numbers, some judious use of sabot bases will overcome the odd shortage of command stands hopefully.

Stephen
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jared wrote:
Guys, any thoughts on running the campaign as normal but then giving players the option to fight battles in 6 or 18mm depending on what they have available? There shouldn't be too many players unable to assemble a 6mm army in time for February and it would make it possible for all interested parties to be included.
This is the way I think it should be done.
bishnak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may do both 18mm and 6mm, just for the hell of it. Twisted Evil

I originally thought I'd do 6mm for the campaign, but most existing armies were 18mm so I'm happy to go with that scale. But like you say, 6mm isn't too onerous to get painted (or too expenisve), so I can't see why I can't do some of them too? The Baccus SYW minis I believe have been remastered and are pretty good . Very Happy

bish
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya size DOESNT matter , Shocked
The rules are M&R

Although I have a dream of stealing Mark R's 28mm figs for a raid on a supply train etc .

Frosty has a collection of 7 yrs war stuff I'm pretty sure ...I wonder when he's back ? Cool
First move is in Feb , no one said first contact would be move 1 ! Very Happy
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a couple of pretty big 7YW armies I think.
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all good figure horders, I can muster a large Prussian army, a reasonably sized Austrian army. Also my WSS French double nicely for SYW and that is what I was planning to use.

I also have an allied army for WSS that can be used at a pinch for Anglo Hannoverians as well.

Never did get into Russians or Turks.

All of this are 15/18mm so there would be no shortage of troops to play with on a little notice.

All of my figures are based 50mm x 25mm, but can be used on 60mm x 30mm without any problem. The main factor in M&R is movement units. So if you are playing on 50mm x 25mm the unit is 50mm. If you are playing on 60mm x 30mm the unit is 60mm!!

I am happy to put on a demo game at any of the upcoming meetings so people can get the feeling for the system.

Cheers

Michael
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Very Happy

Make the forces 180 etc as per the campaign rules to give people an idea .
For the look ,close enough is good enough , the campaign isn't historical so your army can look like anything within reason -it's just gotta have that 7YW vibe Cool

Hey Tris and Jared , looks like your fig problems are solved !

Many thanks Micheal
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if my DBR Williamites' basing fits, maybe with a little help from my Caroline Swedes, then I would be very interested.

Long Live the Grand Duchy of Fenwick!
Frosty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done all. I'm excited to get out my old 15mm 7YW figures and add wonderful new figures from Nick too. Always loved "The Wargame" yet never played it. The new M&R rules should work well with the campaign an added bonus.

I have enough to field the very large French & British Allies at Minden. Will bring them to next meeting to check what we may need.

I have the "Lace Wars" set too for M&R which lets all the late Williamites etc be used for Malburnian games.

So I'm in for any campaign!

Regards Frosty
Patonius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, did this campaign ever get off the ground....
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patonius wrote:
Out of interest, did this campaign ever get off the ground....

It will when someone gets around to organising campaign maps etc. In the mean time there is painting going on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: