leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great War - January Centenary Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadgend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm be in for some WoG action after my FOW game.
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dramas, will play it as a drop in drop out for those that want to take part.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great War game should kick off at about 10.30 (I will be setting up from 10.00am)

I have allocated the players as follows:

Jan & Karsten = Germans
Ara & Noah = French.
I am happy to play whatever and will give Paul his choice of Pichelhaube or scarlet Kepi....

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the game Mark - I had no idea we were so close to breaking too!

Next time I'll be hunkering down more and laying down more HMG fire.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great game chaps!

Special thanks to Jared for stepping in to replace Jan after lunch. You have to love a system that delivers such an exciting, close and realistic feeling game. It could not have been more close and gave me a great sense of just how devastating HMG's and modern quick firing breech loading artillery were to the dense masses of troops manoeuvring over the Northern French plain in August 1914.

The game also filled me with a degree of rye sadness that Warhammer Historical was allowed to die by the nasty bean counters that took over GW and that fabulous systems like Great War and Trafalgar were left to wither on the vine. Perhaps the doldrums that GW now evidently finds itself in is a just reward for a games company that took the path that it has over the past decade. Hopefully it will be a wake up call for GW, but then again I always am an optimist....

cheers
Mark
ara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time: lots of beautiful mini's, excellent terrain, a nice set of rules, watching ze germans run around in circles (and that was at lunchtime!).

I think, given that we had over 250 figures on the board, it really worked well with both the french and german forces coming on in waves. Freed up the battlefield for plenty of fluid movement and tactical decisions.

The problem with cavalry was definitely their susceptibility to machine gun and small arms fire - poor buggers. Wouldn't have liked to have been a cavalryman at the outset of the Great War... Seeing how our squadron of Cav got blown away with one devastating volley from a mortar, next time I'd probably leave them in reserve to exploit weaknesses in the enemy line.

Totally agree with Mark about what a shame Warhammer Historical finished off with barely a whimper... I was busy admiring the production values that went into my copy of Great War rules on Sunday. They did come out with some great stuff - I guess we should just be thankful that we got what we did...

Anyways, thanks Mark for organising the game and carrying everything to the club. Thanks Jan, Karsten and Jared for providing a good, fun game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: