leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOG N Tournament July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Green

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After suggesting that, as the largest FOG:N comp in the World, ours could be considered the World Championships, Keef sent a link to some small, provincial gathering in Europe (hah, like anyone takes any notice of what happens 'over there'!!) which is occurring in August.
As I have already said, possession is nine-tenths of the law, and our tournament is in July... Cool

Keef then had the temerity to try, in some puerile way, to cast aspersions on the valour and dignity of Saxon arms Shocked .....this from a Russian whose only strategic plan in 1812 (and pretty much ever since) has been "RUN AWAY!!" Laughing

I would like to point out to Marshal Marshallovsky that Saxony was a Kingdom in 1809, and while this one true Fatherland may have had some assistance from the French, was nobody's vassal.
A king is a king is a king.... Wink
trailape

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard
I'm just confirming I will be attending.
Arnaud Ng will also be playing, so if not already done so please add two more names to the list.
I'll be using the Dutch Belgian Reserve Corps, 1815!
Yes, you can all stop laughing,.. Rolling Eyes
I know it's a crap list, but I also hope not many others will have it and it will be a nice change to all the inevitable French, Prussian, Russian and Austrian armies.
Also, it's a really cool looking army and the AB Miniatures Netherlands figures are too beautiful not to trot out after painting them. Laughing
Can you confirm when you require the lists?
800 and 650 points right?
Many thanks for putting this on. It's so rare these days to see a Naps tournament being run except for those god awful WRG 1695-1845 comps.
Wink
Cheers
Scott Driscoll Cool
trailape

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Pas de Charge 2014"! as a tournament name?
A musical march that would have been heard on almost every napoleonic battlefield.
http://youtu.be/dK59BlAJ_xw

Just a thought? Wink
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. The more the merrier.

Looking forward to seeing the DB's from AB on the TB. Lists are due 18 June. Yes, 800 & 650 point lists.

Rather boringly, in the absence of consensus on a name, we're down to Victorian Napoleonic Championships, but maybe I should just make an executive decision and go with the one I like, "Grognards".

I wonder how Aussies (or South Africans for that matter!) would pronounce "Pas de Charge"?
Richard

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same way we pronounce "Paris" - any way we want
Carriage

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall being told at school that Ypres was pronounced wipers by the Australian troops in the first world war.
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it isn't?!!
trailape

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pronounced 'Ee prey'
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was what an excited lion said! Very Happy
Steve Green

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question regarding rule interpretations for the tournament.
There has been an ongoing thread on the FOG forum about intercept charges and how they relate or affect counter-charges.

My understanding was that a successful intercept would prevent contact with the original target, and that the original target would therefore not need to perform any compulsory tests or moves - Apparently it is not that simple!! Compulsory tests are avoided, compulsory moves are not.

A successful intercept only needs to contact the enemy, and the original target can still counter-charge - in fact it is possible to argue that they would have to counter-charge, as this is a compulsory move.

And the thread has not even considered how this will affect infantry intercepts.

I can see this creating a LOT of confusion, something to be avoided in the midst of a competition. I think it would be worthwhile to make a ruling on this beforehand.
I think the post by BrettP is very pertinent, and I would recommend that we all have a look at this whole thread.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=47296&start=20

Until a firm ruling on this is decided, IMHO the easiest thing to do is rule that:
1/ If an intercept does not prevent contact with the original target of an assault, it fails and does not happen.
2/ A successful intercept cancels all compulsory moves and tests the original target would otherwise be required to make.

What do you all think? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: