leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Longstreet in 15mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Longstreet in 15mm Reply with quote

I've picked up some unpainted 15mm ACW Confederates second hand, which means of course that I'll have to pick a lot more up in order to make an army of them. I've been looking at Longstreet , which seems like a fun system with a cool set of campaign rules.

A few other people have talked about playing it. So, since the rules are so open about base sizes, can we get a consensus on what size bases (and therefore what size measurements ) we'll use for Longstreet in 15mm? One inch square, so that we can use inches for movement and ranges?
von Lucky

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 15mm miniatures (up to circa 1900) the norm is becoming 40mm frontage.

However, other ACW games (like Fire & Fury) may mean you want to ensure you never have to rebase.

More info here:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=317031
http://www.sammustafa.com/honour-forums/introducing-longstreet/recommended-basing/
http://www.sammustafa.com/honour/downloads/

I would say it depends on your opponents. I think 1"x1" (as you are considering), 30x30mm, 40(wide)x30mm or 40x40mm are all possibilities with sound reasoning.

If I were to do an ACW army in 15mm I would also do 40x30mm as I know Osprey will eventually release a FoG:ACW edition that all the kids will play.
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done both my Union and Confederate forces on 40mm x 30mm for inf and cav and 40mm x 40mm for artillery.

looks good!!

will post pics when I work out how to do it.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait , you have both Union and Confederate ? Shocked

Why do I think your place looks like the last scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark , a huge room of boxes ? Very Happy
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legends tell that Bornstein sleeps half buried in a mountain of painted miniatures, like Smaug.

I had originally hoped that there would be a consensus so that everyone in the club with miniatures could get involved, but now it sounds like there's a split between the one inch square basing and the 40mm frontage.

Yes, anticipating FOG:ACW makes sense. I had originally intended that. But with Longstreet already available now, and having the advantages of being quick play and having campaign rules, I thought it would be the way to go. And if that's the case, it seems like most of the people playing the Honour rules are basing their ACW on one inch bases. Makes sense, as the measurements for movement and firing have to match the base widths.
Richard

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, yes .

You're film analogy is the more potent , well played Heavy Shift , well played
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heavy Shift

Consensus is even further away. My Union and Rebs are on 30x30 mm bases. Not even sure why but have played them a bit using Black Powder. I have a copy of Longstreet and agree it looks good.

Is FoG ACW imminent?That might encourage a rebasing.

Bruce
von Lucky

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of FoG:ACW, but I'm sure it's at least an idea at Slitherine.

Their forum has 4 sub-forum; one for each of the current games and "Swords and Sorcery", which has the tag line of "This is a forum for discussing the use of the Field of Glory gaming system to play fantasy battles. This is not an official product! yet Wink"
ara

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be interested to see what basing consensus is re:Longstreet as well. I had a game and enjoyed it immensely. Have had no previous interest in the period, but am now seriously considering a confederate army. Haven't read the rules closely... would the basing make that much difference to Longstreet? i.e just base for FoG and play Longstreet with it?

In turn, would differently based armies facing each other make much difference to the game? i.e could you even combine a few of the one inch frontages to bring it closer to the 40mm frontage of FoG?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this not a card based system in a wholly new period that you are contemplating young Jedai......?

I recommend that you play some more games first. If Longstreet is like Maurice I would try before you buy!

cheers
Mark
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played any of the Honour system games. Largely what attracts me to Longstreet is the campaign rules.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal take on it is that there is nothing that Maurice does better than BP and there is a very great deal that it does alot worse. Its rigidity I found particularly stifling - in some respects it is more of a collectable card game than a wargame in my humble view.

Although I liked the ideas used in the Maurice campaign system too, but could see it just as easily being grafted onto other rules systems which generate more enjoyable table top games. I presume that the same could apply to 'Longstreet' too.

Of course personal preference plays a big part in this type of decision.

cheers
Mark
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. The rules read OK, but I guess you never really know until you play it. I'll have to try some games.
Steve Green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything to offer as far as basing is concerned, but I have read Trailape's AAR's (lovely pics, great eye candy, excellent AAR's all round really), and the rules seem to play OK. Maybe have a talk to him?
Though this is from someone who has never seen (let alone played) an ACW game. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: