leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August 1914 - Great War Commemoration Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: August 1914 - Great War Commemoration Game Reply with quote

I will be running a 28mm WHH Great War game at the August LoA "Miracle at Mons" to commemorate the start of WWI 100 years ago. Ideally I would like 4 players but could accomodate more.

Our Early War French v German game earlier in the year was a great success which I hope we will repeat.

I have been reading quite heavily about the early war of 1914-1915 over the last 6 months or so. It really seems that history is finally fighting back against the popular (if not almost universal) misconceptions of WWI derived from the Lloyd-George/John Maynard Keynes/Oh what a Lovely War/Blackadder schools of thought. Of course WWI was horrific in almost all respects, but this did not mean that it was not an essential struggle necessary to contain Imperial Germany's brutal attempt to dominate Europe or that all of the WWI generals were blinkered, bumbling butchers. Indeed, in many respects I think such a simplistic view diminishes the millions of brave men, 60,000 of them Australian, who died fighting for a cause they truly believed in, to characterise them as adventure blinded fools, gulled into a mindless slaughter by music hall calls to arms like "Oh we don't want to lose you but we think you ought to go", jingoistic nationalism or teenage girls handing out white feathers at railway stations.

And so I think WWI is a period of history that does warrant a second look by wargamers with fresh eyes and open minds. You may well be surprised!

cheers
Mark
mick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And so I think WWI is a period of history that does warrant a second look by wargamers with fresh eyes and open minds. You may well be surprised!"

I agree Mark
I have been reading "The First Forty Days 1914" by Lt-Gen Sir Horace Robertson
An overview of the campaign. It has a dozen separate maps with it as well
Good read
regards Mick
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely interested Mark, only waiting on whether I'll be playing FoG campaign game in the morning first.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely interested but I only have late war figures. Are the armies being provided?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems Brad, I will supply the armies.

cheers
Mark
Noah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If VCE doesn't get in my way, definitely would love to attend, especially as I have some late war French on the table already...
Noah

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: August 1914 - Great War Commemoration Game Reply with quote

Cawdorthane wrote:
I will be running a 28mm WHH Great War game at the August LoA "Miracle at Mons" to commemorate the start of WWI 100 years ago. Ideally I would like 4 players but could accomodate more.

Our Early War French v German game earlier in the year was a great success which I hope we will repeat.

I have been reading quite heavily about the early war of 1914-1915 over the last 6 months or so. It really seems that history is finally fighting back against the popular (if not almost universal) misconceptions of WWI derived from the Lloyd-George/John Maynard Keynes/Oh what a Lovely War/Blackadder schools of thought. Of course WWI was horrific in almost all respects, but this did not mean that it was not an essential struggle necessary to contain Imperial Germany's brutal attempt to dominate Europe or that all of the WWI generals were blinkered, bumbling butchers. Indeed, in many respects I think such a simplistic view diminishes the millions of brave men, 60,000 of them Australian, who died fighting for a cause they truly believed in, to characterise them as adventure blinded fools, gulled into a mindless slaughter by music hall calls to arms like "Oh we don't want to lose you but we think you ought to go", jingoistic nationalism or teenage girls handing out white feathers at railway stations.

And so I think WWI is a period of history that does warrant a second look by wargamers with fresh eyes and open minds. You may well be surprised!

cheers
Mark

Definitely agreed, I've got "Through the Mud and Blood" by Two Fat Lardies which I'm interested in playing, as well as some Verdun era French and Germans that, once I have enough of them, I'd like to take out for a spin...
Noah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VCE farts in my face once more.
I'm going to have to ban myself from signing up to anything for the next few months... Sad
Sorry but I shan't be able to make it.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Noah.

Better to face the VCE examiners than a trio of Huns serving a maxim!

Brad and Karsten, we will kick off as close to 10.00 am as the German Club permits.

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for presenting a great game Mark, I had a lot of fun.
Noah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cawdorthane wrote:
No worries Noah.

Better to face the VCE examiners than a trio of Huns serving a maxim!

Actually, the Huns sound pretty good now!
Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
I would definitely like to have a go if there's still space. Enjoyed the last go... and will keep a better eye on the flanks this time Smile
Cheers

Guy
Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops - just realised that I posted a reply to the message at the top of the thread, but against the game that I already took part in.... sorry first time of posting. Thanks for running that one Mark.
Anyway - is anyone (who's not involved in SAGA) up for a game of something. I can bring Wings of Glory, Sails of Glory, Federation commander or Victory at Sea (WWII Naval). Otherwise happy to have a go at anything that doesn't need me to bring my own army as I didn't bring much from the UK with me.

Cheers

Guy
von Lucky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy - I'll be happy to bring some of my WoW/WoG stuff along for some scenarios (balloon busting, etc) against your planes.

Otherwise I would be interested in introductory games of either Sails of Glory or Victory at Sea.

I am free from 10:00-3:00.

- Karsten
Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karsten,
Thats great - I'll bring all three and we can decide on the day - Might well be able to fit in more than one game, as all are fairly fast playing.... I haven't played Sails of Glory yet, so an introductory scenario would make sense if we do that. Whichever we go for, should be plenty of opportunity for others to join in if anyone else is looking for a game.

Cheers
Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: