leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Thousand Tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: A Thousand Tanks Reply with quote

A Thousand Tanks
A Flames of War Total War scenario presented by Nigel Brand and Django Upton

Sunday 19th October at the League meeting
Starting at 1100 hrs

Multi-player armoured warfare in the Blitzkrieg Era
Several French and German commands available

All tanks and figures supplied.

The audacious German plan for the invasion of the Low countries and France in May 1940 was quite subtle. Uncertain of the Allies warplan, the Germans decided risk diluting the main panzer spearhead through the Ardennes by putting two panzer divisions into the what von Manstein called "the Matador's cloak". Dangled in front of the Allied generals would be just what they expected to see - a drive through Belgium, the traditional path to France which the Germans had used in WWI. Unable to avoid the bait, the Alllied left flank would advance into Belgium and the panzers of Panzer Gruppe Kleist would strike the hinge.

The Allies didn't really need the bait. Their warplan always envisaged an advance into Belgium to defend either the Escaut or the Dyle rivers. To give time for French and British infantry, General Prioux's Cavalry Corps, consisting of the two Divisions Legeres Mecanique - the pride of the French cavalry - blunt the German push.

Thus for three days in May the French and Germans fought the first large armoured battle of WW2 near the Belgian town of Hannut. Two fulll armoured corps,

Historically both sides achieved their objectives but the battle could easily have gone either way.

Please register your interest by contacting Nigel Brand at niagb56@yahoo.com or via the Forum.
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in taking part in this. I am happy to be a French or German commander.

Regards
Martin
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenario details have been sent out, still painting things though!
leadgend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I found maps of the area c1943!
Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed this when it was first posted - if there's any space I wouold be interested in giving it a go. Happy to play on either side, but slight preference for the French as they had some nice kit to play with (Sumoa S35, Char B1 Bis).
Cheers

Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> 20th/21st Century All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: