leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any 28mm WSS Armies Out There

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patonius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Any 28mm WSS Armies Out There Reply with quote

I am still looking for the next project, with two Hail Caesar armies coming close to completion.

I have been toying with Napoleonics, though I may look at these for the 2016 project.

An interest for a while has been The War of Spanish Succession....using the following rules...

Black Powder
Lace Wars
Beneath the Lily Banners
Maurice

Anyone done/interested in doing this period? I have considered Imaginations (28mm)....though leaning towards historical armies.

Last edited by Patonius on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mark_ecc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Geoff Frost (Frosty) and I have been building up 28mm WSS armies recently. Geoff, of course, is painting like a Demon and can potentially field the French and their dirty allies at Blenheim at almost 1:1. I've been doing British, German City States, Dutch and Danes, at a snail's pace of painting.

We did the Blenheim scenario from the Last Argument of Kings Black Powder book late last year at the League. Both of us managed it in an leisurely day, so it's a managable rule system for a biggish force. Also played Might & Reason and Maurice. I'm sure Geoff will have an opinion of all those other rule sets, if you're looking at trying any.

My painting has ground to a halt due to work and family commitments and I'm probably going to send the rest of mine off to Sri Lanka or similar for painting, just to get them done sometime before 2020 Rolling Eyes Embarassed

I'll try and post pics later if you want to see how the Wargames Factory plastics come up.

Cheers, Mark
Patonius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I'm listening.

What basing?

How big are the Units?
mark_ecc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bases are 50mn x 50mm for infantry and cavalry. I've puf 6 infantry figures per base and 2 cavalry per base. You could try and squeeze 3 cavalry per base but it would be tight.

Artillery are one gun and crew per base. I've made mine 100mm x 50mm, I think Geoff's are a bit less deep. The frontage is more crucial.

Each 'unit' is 4 bases, so 24 infantry and 8 cavalry the way I've done it.

Commanders are based individually and 25-40mm circular bases work, but it wouldn't really matter, certainly not for Black Powder, not sure about all rule sets you mentioned.

I'm still on the way home, PM me your email and I'll send you a quick photo or two of how mine are based, if you want, might be easier to do than posting images here any time before the weekend.

Cheers, Mark
Patonius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo's look good.

I'd probably be inclined to go Front Rank minis for WSS.

At the moment I am arguing with myself re Front Rank WSS or Eureka French Revolution Austrians.....

I need to decide on one for this year, the other as next years project....
mark_ecc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Rank look very nice. I was going to order some Front Rank commander figures to finish off the army. From memory, I think their grenadier figures looked great. I haven't seen the Eureka ones, although based on their other ranges, they are no doubt very good.

Have fun deciding which way to go Laughing
Frosty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't resist encouraging some more recruits! It's a fascinating period with some excellent ranges in 28mm. And quite cheap if you go plastic. I'm delighted with how my French army has come up. Also for metal look at Ebor Miniatures. Wonderful figures with postage that is reasonable from UK. I have a cavalry brigade of them to now paint up and my collection is then almost done.

And a nice range of rules with Black Powder & Back To The Lily Banners as my favoured sets. So we need more allies to beat up my French. But a Bavarian force would look great too.....

Frosty
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's are Wargames Foundry like? I see they do free Int'l shipping for large orders.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, the Wargames Foundry figures are cheap and okay en masse but are not particularly well modelled or animated when compared with Front Rank or League of Augsburg metals.

cheers
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: