leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-tournament events?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Non-tournament events? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

As you've probably seen, the 2016 League calendar is up, including our usual set of annual tournaments. All four of these have had enough interest in the past that we're very happy to keep running them. I believe it's a healthy year of tournaments for those players who like a competitive day of gaming.

But of course, there's a large section of the club that don't play in competitions, or don't play in all of them. That's great, of course. Every type of wargamer is welcome at the League! But I'm wondering if those players aren't missing out on a bit of the spotlight. At least one person has said to me that they think tournaments are taking up most of the Committee's attention, and they would like to see more done for other games, and maybe more done for the less popular but still loved rules systems.

So, in an attempt to cater for some of those players, I'd like to open up the floor (digitally, here on the forum, at least). I think it would be great to dedicate a day to some of the other games at the club. If you, or you and a group, have an idea for something non-tournament to run as an event, I would love to hear about it.

In the past we've seen some fantastic participation games. From big, delightfully chaotic hidden-deployment English Civil War games, to sprawling Bond-style cold war comedies, with plenty of Fort attacks and beach assaults in-between. So maybe a participation game is your idea.

Or maybe it's something else? A short, sharp one-day campaign, with a few small seperate battles in the morning, which effect the setup of the medium-sized climactic battle after lunch? That sort of lightning quick mini-campaign would be unlikely to fizzle out halfway through like some full-length campaigns, but still captures some of the flavour and continuity.

Or maybe you don't think your niche rule-set needs a big event day to promote it. You could be happy playing it just as you are. But if there's any way the Committee can make sure you're enjoying playing at the League, and feel represented in decisions, let us know. Maybe you're sorely lacking for a couple terrain types for your scale or period? Whatever it is, don't be afraid to speak up.

I would love to hear from anyone with an idea, big or small.
leadgend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

October will be the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. We should do a big battle, 25/28mm using SAGA perhaps?
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should indeed. I wonder if Saga breaks down when you try to use it for big games with multiple people per side.
Ian P

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps using Dux Britanniarum (or Dux Bellorum) as the basic rules system would work better for multi unit/multi player?

Would need a bit of work to modify the troop types/card effects to 1066.

Then again, just using Hail Caesar rules would be simpler if enough people were familiar, but are easy to pick up in any case.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an umpire who knows the rules well, and maybe one player on each side with an idea of what they're doing, then all the rest of the players can usually join in without much fuss.

I would throw my vote behind any rule system that is easy enough for that kind of anyone-can-join game.
Pawprint

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who doesn't play SAGA but has heard mostly good things about it:

Would it be viable/practical to use Tyler's split-battle approach? Have everyone play a small-sized game in the morning (covering a small slice of the battlefield, or with terrain to suggest it) and a larger version in the afternoon, with a scenario representing the turning point based on the morning's results (whether faithful or alternate history)?

There should also be an informal, crown-shaped trophy for the "Most One-Eyed Supporter" or somesuch. Smile

This approach would probably work for other scenarios too, such as teams of warbands playing the opposing sides in a siege or assault. Each table covers a different wall section of the same castle, with a bonus for the first player to get over and into the keep.

Michael
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to reinvent the wheel when you have the perfect fun and fast big games rules set at your finger tips - i.e. Hail Caesar. I would be happy to help organize such a game and have a goodly sized army for both sides in 28mm.

We could easily work in a series of Saga skirmishes the meeting before to reflect scouts skirmishing with bonuses or penalties to the big game depending on the total skirmish results.

The biggest controversy for a Hastings game will be whether the Normans had 'feigned flight' - personally I think this was a fluke incident not reflected in other Norman battles but am happy to hear contrary views...

Cheers
Mark
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited reading I thought the same. That it was an accidental advantage, snatched from local defeats. Do the Hail Ceasar rules have involuntary pursuits to allow for that? That's the only thing I would want to add, if it isn't already in the rules. That and a low-odds chance of a lucky arrow to the eyeball killing a leader and changing history.

And I do still like the idea of skirmishes prior to the big game. Doing it the meeting before is a good solution. And you don't even need the same commanders to play the skirmishes as the big game. Might be fun to have people cursing or praising their absent counterparts from the month before!
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail Caesar is eminently adaptable and designed for the big multiplayer set piece. Units can have traits including 'feigned flight' or 'eager' to simulate respectively the tactic of drawing out a foe with a faux rout or impetuosity.

Cheers
Mark
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like we want to use "eager", but not "feigned flight", then.

But we're discussing rules without figuring out who would be running it. Whichever person or people end up doing the most work, they'll be the ones who want to run things the way they like best.

So...is there anyone in particular whose excited about the idea of running a Hail Ceasar Battle of Hastings event? Or a couple people working together? Volunteers kindly step forward, or be the last to step back.

And just to show the right spirit, I've been thinking about another idea, something I might like to build the terrain for and run in 2016. An attack on a frontier fort during the French Indian War, complete with relief force trying to fight their way through, cavalry to the rescue style. Obviously, I'm showing my biases with that one, but people are obviously going to commit themselves to whatever their favourite period is with this sort of thing.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already stuck my hand up but it would be good for there to be at least two organizers but the more the merrier. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Mark
Frosty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea Tyler to get other games and periods being played and enjoyed. I have 2 suggestions.

I would enjoy a Command & Colours Day when all games of this type are presented and available for quick and fun games. The games now cover ancient, medieval, Napoleonic, ACW, WW1, WW2(Memoir 44), Fantasy, Westeros & Samurai. My personal favourite is the Samurai game. Most of these games can be done by LOA members using figures.

Also I would like to do a big Black Powder game in 28mm using 7YW or Marlburnians. After several years of painting Mark E and I have just about completed our Malburnian forces. Its a great game with lots of players on a big table.

I will (gulp) volunteer to do either if any interest out there.
Regards Frosty
leadgend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
And I do still like the idea of skirmishes prior to the big game. Doing it the meeting before is a good solution. And you don't even need the same commanders to play the skirmishes as the big game. Might be fun to have people cursing or praising their absent counterparts from the month before!

The SAGA tournament is on the month before.
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, damn. Right period, seperate events. Maybe spanning two months is too ambitious.
mark_ecc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well volunteered Frosty, a large Marlburians or 7YW game is a great idea. I'm hoping mine will be complete by March, painting cav now whilst in the Aotearoa, while also wondering about 28mm Empress figures for New Zeland Wars.

Got some books from Santa on War of Spannish Succession, might try and come up with some scenarios that are not Blenheim, that will accommodate what we've got. Obviously if others have colourful tricorn wearing figures to add to the mix, could be as big as we can stretch tables across the room.

A big multi-player game would be fun, my 7 year old Colonel might want to help too though, in return for chips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: