leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for David Couper - Melbourne gamer in the 70s-80s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kublaibenzine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Looking for David Couper - Melbourne gamer in the 70s-80s Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I lived in Melbourne between 1978 and 1982 and used to game at the League of Ancients, Nunawading and Frankston (while it existed).

I'm trying to track down a very dear friend, David Couper he used to live in Somerville and was one of the most amazing painters and figure converters of his day (he was also a fabulous chef). Would anyone know how to contact him?

I would like to get back in touch with him as I hope to get out to Melbourne next year and re-live some happy memories with gamers of my youth.

Jean-Pierre Ollivier
[/b]
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean-Pierre,

I think we played a couple of times in the early 80's. Sadly I have not caught up with David or his brother Shane in way too long, but here are his details as at 2007:

4 Peppermint Place, Somerville
Tel: 59775718

Hope you drop into the League if you get a chance!

cheers
Mark Robins
kublaibenzine

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Many thanks!

He moved from there some time ago but thanks to Brian Hall, I have tracked David down to the Rye Pizzeria, which his family runs. Trying to tee up on the phone with the 9 hour difference is a bit of a challenge!

I think we may have indeed played in 1980-82. In those heady days I used to write up every battle for the fun of it (wow... to have the time we had then...). I kept the book with it and will have a quick check.

I'd love to drop in to the club and it's high on my priority list just to see how many of the folk I remember are still around.

Cheers,
JP
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news JP!

Our early 80's veterans still playing at the League include Richard Stubbs, Michael Bornstein, Geoff Frost, Wal Bristow, Steve Neate and me. Very occasionally we still see Chris Jobson and David Smith, and, even less often, Hugh Tolhurst.

We few, we happy few.....

cheers
Mark
kublaibenzine

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - what a blast from the past Smile

Great to see so many names still active - remember most of them well. Geoff was always a gentleman, I had some rip-roaring arguments with Michael (LOL). Must definitely go digging in the memory album.

There was an excellent player who fielded 25 mm Japanese, while I think I fielded Han Chinese in some club final in 1981. Everybody gathered around for what was expected to be a smash up game - instead we each hid our troops and tried to missile each other to death around a hill... it was pathetically disappointing for all spectators and was won on some tiny number of points... Not my proudest game... but that's what memories are made of.

JP
Captain Darling

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: 'Blast From The Past!' Reply with quote

Hey Jean-Pierre,

I'm pleased your post here found your old friend! Good luck on your long distance relationship Very Happy ...

Cheers!

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
kublaibenzine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark - wow, found it ! We played on June 8 1985 at a convention I had flown back from Canada for. Teutonic Knights vs your Early Imperials, 1600 points. You wiped me out with a clever flank march Smile Six games crammed into the weekend... the old brain couldn't handle that now...

Are Bruce Poon or Joe Thomlinson still active?

Captain Darling, thanks for the connection !

JP
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is deeply impressive record keeping.... wow! I rarely play tournaments any more, so I know how just you feel.

The League is a very easy going club these days. We play pretty much all periods and all scales. Funnily enough Art de la Guerre is getting some real interest for Ancients at the moment.

Joe Thomlinson is still around, but he no longer plays at the League. Bruce Poon has not been at the League in a long long time. I think someone came across him as an Animal Rights candidate in a State election about 10 years ago, but I am fairly sure he was not elected. Rolling Eyes

cheers
Mark
kublaibenzine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

I have your army list and mine, initial disposition and end of game dispositions drawn up + what happened in game. Whew - I sure was "anal retentive " (if you'll excuse my blunt Canadianism) in those days - but it is fun to look back on. Even found a comment over how challenging and tiring games were with Hugh Tolhurst due to rules arguments (I'm sure he felt the same about me!).

Gave up the competition gaming in the late eighties - life is too short to be intense about the hobby !

Cheers,
JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: