Joined: 18 Jan 2007
|Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:14 am Post subject: Painting DW Miniatures
|Here is a quick guide to painting Dystopian Wars fleets that I successfully employed:
1. Decide your battlefleet’s base colour: I went with khaki for my KoB and feldgrau for my PE, but you can let your imagination soar!
2. Spray paint all models with a matt black.
3. With an older but still functional brush, moderately drybrush your battlefleet’s base colour to all parts of the vessel/flier trying to leave the black undercoated indentations where possible.
4. Pick out a few spots of detail on each model with:
(a) gun metal for engineering features or secondary armaments
(b) brass fittings – not too many though!
(c) wooden decking
You do not have to go overboard with such detail
5. [optional] sky blue under carriage for any larger fliers or skyblue base for tiny fliers with a gunmetal drybrush around the edges.
6. With a fine brush then apply some clean ‘tidying up’ lines with your battlefleet’s base colour
7. Dark sea blue/green for water parts of any bases with ocean. Then lightly dry brush a lighter shade of blue or off white for waves
8. [optional] apply a diluted dark shading ink or Army Painter dip
9. [optional] apply decals
10. Spray clear/matt varnish [I then apply a gloss varnish to the watery parts of any ocean base]
11. Play with your now magnificent miniatures!
The above system should enable you to field very attractive miniatures with a total time investment of less than 10 minutes a model, and probably no more than half that for smaller models. The key is not to be too daunted by some of the beautiful work done on their models by Lon et al. With a modicum of effort all of the DW minatures paint up a treat!