leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member; Andrew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: New member; Andrew Reply with quote

Hi,
A friend of a friend suggested I contact League of Ancients as a great place to play.
I live in Mount Eliza Vic. and have been dabbling in wargaming for a long time , but mostly on my own. My interest is in historical gaming, particularly the Crusades, Napoleonic and Ww2. I have no models of medieval, but quite a bit of plastic 20mm Napoleonic. Despite this , I realised recently that my knowledge of Napoleonic warfare is patchy.
I'm currently painting 10mm WW2 late war Germans and Americans using the two fat lardies I aint been shot mum rules ( which I've changed slightly to better represent the bocage fighting). Also building some terrain which is turning out quite well.

I've also had a lot of fun with boarwargames; OCS from MMP and the Eastern front series from GMT.

My long term goal is to assemble something from the crusades, probably in 15mm. I find this period fascinating, with it's religeous relics and fanatical faith . I have picked up a ruleset called Medieval Warfare by Terry Gore, which has some mechanics I like , but am open to trying other rules ; FOG seems a popular choice.

Anyway, I'll come along to Cub Tivoli on 19th June and look forward to seeing the games etc.
If anyone wants a game with a great chance of winning, I'll be very happy to hear from you.
Cheers,
Andrew
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Andrew!

The LoA these days plays accross virtually every period and scale. Please make yourself known when you come along on 19th June as I am sure that you will be able to join in on something on the day. If you check the forum in the fortnight or so beforehand, people should be posting for games they are running or wanting to run, and that way you could lock in a game beforehand. There are club armies available for loan if your own Ancients force is not yet ready.

We are presently reconsidering what Ancients/Medieval rules the club should offer in its tournaments, and so it is a good time to join in Ancients as you are likely to be on the same plateau of experience/ignorance as the rest of us!

cheers
Mark
Andrew M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,
In that case I'll bring my Medieval Warfare rulebook by Terry Gore, so people can browse through it andsee what they think.

Cheers,
Andrew
Steve Green

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew, I've got a load of N scale Minifigs WW2 German and American infantry, guns Etc, and heaps of the Dragon 1/144th afv's. There is a difference in scale to the 10mm I think, but it might be workable. Don't know the IABS rules, but happy to have a chat. I'll probably be playing a game of FOG Napoleonics but feel free to interrupt - my generalship over my last few games has been "patchy" shall we say! Shocked and any interruption will probably be welcome!
Andrew M

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Thanks, that sounds great. I'll bring along some of my finished ww2 pieces, and the IABSM rules to see if the style appeals. I better refresh myself with the rules again; too much painting and not enough playing!

I would enjoy following some of your FOGN game, and get look at that system.

See you then,
Andrew
Andrew M

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
It just occurred to me that you probably were referring to this month's meeting, while I was talking about 19th of June.

Sorry about that , I only mentioned the 19th June in my first post, but should've mentioned it again as more posts came in.

Anyway, if you will be at the June meeting, (when work pressures will ease for me) I would love to catch up.

Cheers,
Andrew
Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew ,
Welcome , we have our Napoleonic tournament coming up in June using FoG N .
The good news is that will make for a busy meeting day , we hope to have some stalls there as well

As far as medieval rules go , we are just trialing new rule sets ,Art de la Guerre is gaining some traction ( you can find more links to it in our Ancients section of the Forum )

This is perfect timing for you because you'll be learning the rules when we are so we will all be beginners ! Very Happy

Don't worry about an army we will be able to loan you anything you need ( I love the Crusades too )

Finally , some of our members live down near you so you will have some options for games other than Club days !

Cheers ,

Richard
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when Richard says June he really means July Rolling Eyes Laughing
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, the great thing about the LoA is our ability to laugh at ourselves. And heaven knows, we often have a lot to laugh about...

There is no tournament in June that's true, and the 2 day FoGN 15mm Napoleonics event is in July. Just look at our home page for precise dates. But even during tournaments there is generally room for friendlies or other games at the LoA, and Club Tivoli will usually let us use some of their other areas if they have no competing events on the day when we run low on space. We rarely have more than 33% of our members playing in any particular tournament, if that, and so there are usually other games happening at club meetings if tournaments do not grab you.

At least 3 of us are planning a WW1 Naval game in July to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Jutland.

So if you are not into tournaments, that's no problem with the League. But if you want to throw yourself in the deep end, play a tournament, meet a lot of new players and learn a new system/period, that's cool too.

cheers
Mark
Andrew M

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the message. That's great news about the new rules. I've been following the discussion a little, and read two reviews on Art de la Guerre.
I think they might be very enjoyable to play.

I'm really looking forward to June; I've been playing solo for so long that I catch myself announcing to friends and family things like "Kiev has fallen".
Battle reports don't make good dinner party conversation!

It's great to see others love the Crusades too. I've been looking closely at the Mirliton range for Crusades, but won't buy anything until I see what others have, and maybe collect something that adds interesting diversity.

See you then,
Andrew
Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait , July ? Oh God , I've peaked too early .
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, let me say 'welcome', as the others have.

With next month being a regular club meeting (despite Richard's confusion) there will be plenty of variety in the periods and rule sets played.

If you are interested in trying out ADLG, the League has two club armies that anyone can use. Not crusades era, unfortunately. Ancient Romans and pike-era Greeks. But great for getting a handle on the rules.
Andrew M

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone , and thanks for your welcoming posts.
Tyler, I would love to play ADLG; I have no ruleset, but I'll look over those reviews again to get a rough idea. Thanks, what a great thing to look forward to! Is there any time in particular that's best?

Mark, I'd love to see the tournament in July, and am drawn to the notion of playing in them, once I'm familiar enough with the rules.. .

I'm really thrilled that I now have a chance to both see and try different periods and rules.
Cheers,
Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: