leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little Wars 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Little Wars 2016 Reply with quote

What a fabulous Little Wars it was! As usual a strong LoA contingent contributed to the day: Ara & Lon showcasing their brilliant Tribal game, Frosty and Steve Neate showing that real men do wear tights in their Robin Hood game, Brian Hall running a Command & Colours Ancients game, the Berwick lads refighting Thermopylae in 28mm Hail Caesar, and my own Wings of Glory "First Blitz" game. I distributed LoA cards from my table, as did Lon & Ara, but we really need to do as much as we collectively can to market the LoA at this, the premier Melbourne wargames show day. Offering a discounted membership coupled with active promotion of the LoA and recruitment a few years ago netted us a huge uplift in membership. And it would be great to revisit that strategy, methinks.

Special thanks to Ara, Nic and Michael for stretching the budget (and it was a big cost!!!) to have the central lighting rig filling the otherwise dusky auditorium with glorious light. For me it made a huge difference with, all of the splendid games shown at their very illuminated best. The poor lighting of the last 2 years is thankfully a thing of the past. The Mutterkrantz Bratwurst van man was there, hooray, and real coffee from the café downstairs really capped off an excellent venue.

From a game organiser's viewpoint, things ran smoothly and without hitch, just letting me get on with running my game. Again my thanks go to Ara, Nic and Michael. There is a lot of feline wrangling in this whole process, much of it hidden, but their magnificent perseverance continues to make this one of the best wargames days I have each year.

My first year at running a much smaller game, flying the Zeppelin-Staaken bomber against late war first line British fighters over London, was fun, fast and challenging. The 8 people I ran through in 4 games I think all enjoyed it very much. Wings of Glory never ceases to impress and appeal.

Now to sit and ponder what I might do next year? For me a smaller and quicker game is appealing, as I am less tied to the table. It also enables me to wander a bit more, and enjoy the tradestands and the other great wargames eye candy on offer. Thinking cap now firmly in place...

Phew!!!! Early night tonight for me.

cheers
Mark

PS oops, sorry Django & Ben, there was just too much going on to remember it all!

Last edited by Cawdorthane on Tue May 31, 2016 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
von Lucky

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, was a good year. My thanks to all those that organised. Would be happy to pay a $5 entry to ensure lights etc stay.

And don't forget Django and Ben's Long Tan game. I learnt I still don't know how to effectively tactically retreat enough. Or call in artillery.
Captain Darling

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: LWM 2016 Reply with quote

Lets see some pictures gentlemen!

Any pictures of the Blue Max Table? I much prefer these rules with miniatures than WoW/WoG...

Any info on the 6mm ACW table, rules, scenario played, pictures???

Good to see Long Tan got a spot!

No little wars here in Adelaide this year hopefully it will be back in 2017...

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
Andrew v I

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks also to Nic, Mike, Ara and their helpers. It was a good day. I can only imagine how much preliminary work went into making it all happen in such an efficient and stress free (for the gamers) way.

Captain Darling, the ACW game was run by me. We used the Regimental Fire and Fury rules. The scenario was from the RF and F rule book. It is called Battle comes to Sheridan (or something like that) and represents part of Murfreesboro/Stones River. If you are interested in a game, please let me know.
Steven Neate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a good day. The Lion Rampant rules worked very well. The Sherriff (me) got spanked by Robin's lads in tights throughout the day. The kids who played did well. My mounted serjeants being held by Robin's serfs (under the command of a young Robin Hood) was a serious dent to the Sherriff's prestige.
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean O'Neill of the NWA posted some pics from Little Wars on the NWA's FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/nwa.members/
Captain Darling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: LW 2016 Reply with quote

Hey Andrew thanks!

If I am in your neck of the woods and have time I'll contact you in advance...

Quote from Blackadder Series IV Episode 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: