leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battle of Hastings 1066 AD - 950th Anniversary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Battle of Hastings 1066 AD - 950th Anniversary Reply with quote

This Battle was the single most decisive battle in our entire history and so a few of us have decided to organise a big battle Hail Caesar event at the October LoA meeting to commemorate it. It would be great to have 4 or 5 players a side and so there should be spaces available for people to join in, but please let us know in advance. Lon, Ara and I will be supplying the forces but if you want to bring your own contingent, that will be fine too.

cheers
Mark
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in, please.
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here (will not be bringing a contingent).
Noah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up!

- Ecclesiastes (and me)
ara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Mark - looks like planning is well on its way!

How many saxons and/or normans do you have, Mark?

I'm trying to estimate how many units/divisions we can field.

Estimates of the Normans has them at half infantry, one quarter cavalry and one quarter archers - some argue it was closer to a 1/3 breakdown of each.

The saxons were pretty much infantry, in dense formations/shieldwalls at the top of the hill, perhaps with some slingers/javelins/archers lurking around at the back as support.

7,000 on Harold's side - 10,000 on William's side? 3 divisions, and 3 generals for William's side - Alan the Red on the left, William in the middle, Franks on the right. Maybe make the Saxons impetuous - i.e difficult to control?

I'll basically be fielding my SAGA force - I have about 20 norman knights, 12 crossbows, 20 archers and... not much in the way of infantry... can paint some more. I have some anglo-dane/saxon figures I could paint up - infantry and archers.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that we would have a normal unit size of 12cm frontage, and large units 18cm frontage. On that basis I can field something like 15 normal sized Norman/Breton cavalry units. Infantry wise I can field 16+ normal units of heavy foot and 12+ normal units of medium foot (suitable for Lesser Fyrd), any number of 8 figure light foot archer, sling or javelin units in skirmish, 2 units of close order crossbow units, 1 unit of light foot crossbow, and probably another 6 to 8 units of close order foot if I mass my various Saga figures.

With what you have and Lon's beautiful Vikings (who, let's face it, were pretty indistinguishable from Anglo-Danes of this period) we should have ample for both armies. I will email you and Lon off forum about scenario ideas I have bubbling away to try to create fog of war and to simulate the desperate nature of this battle, which neither army could afford to lose.

cheers
Mark
ara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggsellent - it does sound like we have plenty of figures to play with.

I might still try and paint up some more Norman foot, just b/c this game can motivate me to get it done.

Will chat about it more over emails
Noah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say I'll have to bow out of this one. Urgent university assessments strike again. Sad

- Ecclesiastes (and me)
ara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this year Lon and I visited the village of Battle and toured the (supposed) site of the battle of Hastings. It was really well put together, with an audio tour and signage at critical points on a walk, done by English Heritage. There was a small museum on site, where you could carry a proper norman/saxon spear and shield, and get an understanding of just how much poundage was carried around by soldiers on both sides for the better part of an entire day.

I thought I'd post some of the pics I took of the battlefield - perhaps to give us a sense of the terrain/battle in which we'll be playing.

Coming down the hill, towards the marshy area/streams around which the Normans congregated.

Signage showing the battle formations before the fighting commenced

The first Norman attack - while the Saxon shieldwalls hold firm

The first Norman retreat, during which rumours abound of William's death - at which time, William is forced to move around his army to let them know that he lives.

A view of the Abbey at the top of the hill, built in the years after. View from the marshy area, with streams criss-crossing the area.

Stalemate between the two forces, the artwork gives a sense of how important the hill was to the Saxons.

There's more signage and stuff, showing the outcome, but we don't want to know that in lieu of our game! Hopefully it'll be lotsa fun. Cool
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How superb!!!
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

All I can think of is that those pretty flowers would've been detroyed as the ground was churned into mud and some crazy old person waving their walking stick telling the soldiers to mind the flowers.
ara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Get off my lawn you damn kids!
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for hosting the game Mark; once again your 'special' events cards add some flavor along with weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Thanks also to Adam, Lon, Ara and Bruce (?) for sharing their miniatures.

The old man was forced to vacate his lawn and let the Frenchies camp out in merry ol' England.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ara, Lon, Bruce, Karsten, Adam, David & Brad for a wonderful game today - for me this is what wargaming is all about: good fellowship, good beer, good figures and a great game. HC really rocks when it comes to these set-piece historical fights.

Ara, Richard S has asked me if you could do a face book post with your photos. I will try and do a write up for Tyler and the next Argus/LoA webpage.

cheers
Mark
ara

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it was a fun game to watch. Well done to all of the players - playing in the right spirit I reckon.

The last few turns were really tense too - as soon as Harold's flank broke, the relaxed atmosphere disappeared and I noticed there was a lot of silence around the table. Laughing

I'll post fotos on FB when I get the chance. A couple of fotos here, just to give a sense of the scale. It did look spectacular.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: