leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOG:R update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Green

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: FOG:R update Reply with quote

Hi all, just thought I'd mention that there is a thread on the Slitherine forum (For those who haven't already seen it) where there is an ongoing discussion about the update for the FOR:R rules. I haven't played enough games to know if the proposals have merit, but it seems to be pretty comprehensive - similar to what is happening with the FOG:N update, a sort of ".5" update.
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a link??
martymagnificent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=450

Martin
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had a quick look at the proposed changes.

Rather underwhelmed, they might say that it is not a new version but there are so many fundamental changes that it really is.

It looks like rules writing by committee and we are know how that ends up.

The assorted changes do not appear to have been play-tested either.

Looks like I will be playing a lot more of Baroque than I originally thought.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry chaps, but I have run out of steam with the FoG family of rules and am not likely to produce any tournament scenarios for a system that I do not play any longer....

cheers
Mark
Steve Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As limited as my experience of the FOGR rules is, it seems to me that quite a few of the changes are solutions to problems that don't really exist - not at the LOA anyway. The tournament scene in the UK is much more active than here, and I get the impression that certain participants were using the (admittedly somewhat loose) lists to produce "tiger" armies with no basis in history, which exploited certain rules that perhaps allowed unhistorical tactics. I have taken part in the last two tournaments at the LOA and not come across this sort of behaviour, though I do tend to dwell in the lower half of the results table! Rolling Eyes

I do enjoy these rules, and I am willing to go with the general consensus, but I would be thinking along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - the fact that the powers that be in the UK feel the need to change things in a fairly significant way doesn't mean that we have to. Though as has been mentioned elsewhere, fragmentation is usually the death of any rules set.
martymagnificent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still an occasional player of FOGR and have played a few comps.

While I don't like the look of a few of the proposals some of the problems definitely exist. The pricing/effectiveness of some of the mounted types is an issue. Significant numbers of lists rely on the various 2 dice a base mounted types and they are simply bad value as things stand. Cavalry (as opposed to horse) are often a pretty suspect choice. Elephants are ridiculously crap and there are arguably some issues with massed foot bow as well.

ie a whole range of things that could do with a look. I do, however, share the concerns about how they are tackling some of them.

Martin
Mick.G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish I had delayed buying the rule book and a couple of army list books long enough to hear which way the League is going on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: