leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baroque Rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Baroque Rules Reply with quote

I played my first game of Baroque (the 1550-1700 AD version of Impetus) at the LoA this morning. It was a very good experience on the whole. The rules provided for a decisive conclusion within 2 hours, even allowing for the high 'conversation content' of my game with Michael B Very Happy Very Happy

Like ADLG, Baroque suffers a little in places from being written principally by people who speak English as a 2nd language. But frankly after decades of playing Barkerese rules or more recently the FoG family of committee designed rules, there are worse things....

I am not a 100% sold on the terrain placement rules, which I fear are potentially very open to abuse by competition style play, but the rest of the system flowed nicely. Even if I was frustrated on occasion when I persistently rolled low dice when I needed high and vice versa, I actually like a system where different dice scales are applied for different tests.

At 600 points, my ECW Royalist army involved 15 elements of cavalry, 3 of dragoons, 1 of artillery and 24 elements of pike/shot and 3 generals, so people with DBR or FoGR armies can easily field Baroque forces. The unit frontages of Baroque accommodate DBR or FoGR element dimensions too (120mm standard in 15mm for everything but artillery units which are 40mm), so no rebasing is necessary.

The Baroque rules include 7 army lists from the period, and beta draft lists of another 13 or 14 are freely down-loadable from their website. This effectively covers the vast majority of most LoA Renaissance players' preferred armies in the major wars of Europe or nearby, although the available lists are a bit light on for the Great Northern Wars era at the very end of the period.

The Baroque rules imho are well worth a look.

PS I am not trying to start a thread debating change of the LoA Renaissance tournament for 2017, that competition is already set for this year and is only 2 months off. So let's please not start a discussion of that nature until after we see what happens in April.

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear of these initial observations.

What's the table size?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120cm x 90cm, so the new LoA Saga/ADLG tables are perfect (well done Committee!!!).

cheers
Mark
Mick.G

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, is an element the same as a base in FOGR? Is 600 points about equivalent to 800 points in FOGR?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mick, an element is non-FoG speak for a base. Baroque armies are probably slightly smaller than a FoGR army, but not by a great deal - my FoGR Royalists had 5 more bases/elements of cavalry and 6 more bases/elements of infantry, or about 20% more bases/elements than my Baroque list.

cheers
Mark
Craig

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, I own the Baroque rules and have played two games and would be happy to try a few more games.

My initial impressions are not enthusiastic but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a few more games. It does give a quick, fast flowing game with generally logical outcomes and overall was fun. You were generous in your description of the terrain rules, it is almost a case of what terrain rules.

Although I have not played enough games to be sure, I have a niggling concern that once the forces are deployed on the board there is not a great deal that a player can do to out play their opponent. I felt both the games I have played were decided by luck of the dice rather than player actions (I won one and lost one).
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig,

Happy to give Baroque a go at some stage, but I am out for the next meeting or two, so maybe July?

The Baroque rules are not perfect but I think they are better than FoGR. Some odd funny things I am not a great fan of include the free 'massing' of Parliamentary Horse and the presently available lists are relatively limited and do not greatly promote historical composition. The latter you can always overcome with commonsense, but we wargamers being human do like to push the limits of lists.... I agree that the terrain placement rules also do not seem hugely well thought out to me - as written the defender has a fairly huge advantage unless extremely odd dice were rolled.

On the upside the games I have played so far were quick and decisive. Things can go wrong very quickly.

cheers
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: