leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painter in Sri Lanka?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Modelling and Painting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gudin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Painter in Sri Lanka? Reply with quote

I have heard on the grape vine that some people use a painter in Sri Lanka to paint their stuff. I am wondering if someone can send me a link or email address for this person/company, or anyone else.

I have found a company called Fernando Enterprises but their website is pretty bad, so I have no idea about the three levels of quality they mention. Their pics have a collector which is cheapest, but the images look better than the showcase, which is twice he price. Thoughts?

Fwiw I have 4 boxes of perry/warlord plastics for French and Indian wars

Thanks!

Andrew
akinnie at mac dot com
LyleD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Fernando quite a lot for my 15mm armies. Their lowest standard (Wargamer) is a basic job and requires a wash or highlights to pick out the details. I usually get the middle Collector standard and think that is good for gaming and haven't used Showcase. Compared to local painters I find them cheap and reasonably quick. The bigger the order the longer they are in Sri Lanka. 8-10 weeks for a couple of hundred figures.

They do need detailed instructions and you should make these as simple as possible. Samples, drawings and photographs are useful. They will sometimes make mistakes e.g. painting cloth as metal, as they are not gamers. They do provide photographs of their work to allow you to pick up these mistakes and request changes.

They will add spears, base and add flags etc., but I would usually do that myself.

They are usually packed well for transport, but some bending of pikes, muskets is often needed when they arrive back from Sri Lanka. They have a base coat, paint and varnish, so this usually isn't a problem.

I have some samples when I'm at the league, if anyone is ever interested.

Regards, Lyle
Andrew M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Fernando now. I've ordered the mid-quality collector standard, and am happy with their work. They send photos of two samples from each unit. Once they get the ok, they paint the rest of the unit. occasionally something needs fixing like a saddle cloth may be the wrong colour, but they fix it within a day or two.

The photos so far look really good. If you want to see, I can email them to you.
Cheers,
Andrew M
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Fernando Enterprises in the past for my large 15mm Carthaginian army. I went with "Collector" standard (US$1 infantry, US$2 cavalry), and made sure it was going to be over US$300 to get the 10% discount. Shipping back was through courier, about US$50, but that is to ensure no dodginess on anyone's part.

Touch ups before basing included some more shading/highlights on the elephants and a little colour here and there that had been missed.

Like others have said, there were a lot of emails (of okaying work, etc), but if you provide enough reference material it goes pretty smoothly. Just had issue with the Celts (unsurprising as each one is unique), but as Andrew said they sort it out pretty quick.

Overall I was pretty happy with what I got for the time and money, have recommended them a lot in the past.
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth mentioning that in 15mm it goes from "Wargamer" to "Collector" to "Showcase", while in 28mm it goes from "Collector" to "Showcase" to "Super Showcase".

I have not used them for 28mm, so I can't comment on that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Modelling and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: