leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generals wanted for 21st May LoA meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Generals wanted for 21st May LoA meeting Reply with quote

Charles, Ewan, Michael and I plan to put on two large battles and we are keen for others to join us and take a command. We will be using the latest version of DBMM and we will provide all of the figures and terrain. The battles will be large and should be interesting.

No previous experience with DBMM is needed to join us, so if you are interested to see how the game mechanics work then post a reply or just join us on the day.

Details to be confirmed but here is what we expect (I will update as we sort out the details):

Start: 10:30 am

Game 1: Ewan (Phoenician) vs Charles (New Kingdom Egyptian)

Game 2: Michael (Hoplite Greek - Spartan) vs Craig (Camillan Roman)
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, armies confirmed for next week. We have all gone early period armies with some unusual choices. of armies that rarely hit the table with the Pjoenicians and Camillan Romans.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

I could be interested.

Haven't played anything in years, but recently I dropped into the club for the 1st time in a long time and I've been sorta toying with the idea of playing/getting back into the hobby again for a bit.

Might also drag my son along (he's 15) so maybe he could join in as well?

Anyway hope you're well.

Cheers.
Craig

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, it will be good to have you and your son along. Feel free to work out which game you want to join on the day. The Camillan Romans might have a tough day of it against the Spartans.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Craig,

I'm really open minded about playing anything, whatever or where ever you guys see fit, I'm just happy to play honestly. The boy is very inexperienced, but he's a good kid. I know Charles and Michael fairly well so I'll leave it in your capable hands to see fit to whatever.

What time were you thinking of starting? I'm close to 100% coming as long as it's not pouring rain as it's a fair drive.

Anyway thanks again.
Craig

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,

We are aiming to arrive at around 10:00 am for a kick off around 10:30-10:45 but let us know what does and does not work for you.

Personally I think DBMM is an excellent set of rules, actually it is by far my preferred set for ancients and medieval. It is complex and takes time to get into but it provides a challenging, balanced and (IMHO) a fairly historical feeling game that works at a range of different size battles. It does not need fiddling with army selections, table sizes, army sizes, etc to produce a good game.

We are definitely keen on getting some more players interested in DBMM so Sunday should just be some light hearted and fun games.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, 10:00 am should be fine.

Yeah I have played a little Dbmm before but obviously an old set, I liked some things and not other in comparison to pure Dbm... but obviously getting a game in this era is the deciding factor, so it is what it is - still I think I'd prefer playing Dbmm over Adlg.. although I may give that a try in the future.

Recently I've been thinking of dipping my toe into a 25mm army or two... at 1st I was thinking I should just get Teutonics but I'm guessing I'm more likely to get historical games if I get Romans and maybe Gauls... anyway food for thought.

I'll let you know if I can't make it but as I said I should be good.

Cheers.
Craig

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you will like the present version of DBMM.

Presently Charles, Michael, Ewan and myself are the main DBMM players and between us we have a pretty good selection of 15mm armies. We also play fairly regularly so if you like the rules you should not have too much trouble getting a game.

Charles and I have both given ADLG a go and I think it is safe to say that we both prefer DBMM, although rule preference is a personal thing.

See you Sunday.
Craig

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin, I sent an email to the email address I have for you (well, I think it is your email address). Let me know if you did not get it.

My email address is: c.stevenson@internode.on.net
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah have checked my email now.

Anyway the game with yourself and Michael was a lot of fun, the rules seemed mostly balanced and mostly an improvement on the old Dbm set so I look forward to more individual games or possibly at a later time a very basic mini campaign so we can play team games as well as individual games.

I guess the way I look at it now is now that the tournament circuit is no where near what it used to be like in its Dbm heydays, I'm much more open minded about actually having _fun_ and doing more social things.

Also it was nice to see some familiar old faces at the club as I haven't really attended much for years. My son seemed a little interested although I think he was a little more interested in Damian's sci fi game... but I'll be sure to bring him along again next month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: