leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DBR League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LyleD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: DBR League Reply with quote

The idea of a DBR League is prompted by nothing more than my selfish desire to play more DBR games during the year in a semi-competitive setting. Hopefully there are at least 4 like-minded individuals who will join me.

There will be 5 rounds during the year. 5/6 participants means everyone plays everyone else. More than 6 participants and there will be a random draw for the first round and subsequent pairings will then be based on the modified Swiss chess system used in tournaments. If there are more than 6 participants then Victory Points scored in the bye will be the average of the person’s score in the other rounds. Most games will be played at the club, but games can be played outside meetings, if the individuals paired together agree.

Everything will be played according to the rule book and published army lists (no Kiwi points, no new types of muskets or arquebusiers), but if players want to play without using the weather rules then they can agree to do so. Armies will be 400 army points in size.

I propose that one of four themes is chosen for the event:
• 1500 to 1550 The Age of the Landsknecht;
• 1600 to 1650 Europe in Turmoil;
• 1650 to 1700 Enlightenment Europe; and
• 1500 to 1700 Asia and Africa.

The first three themes are for European armies only. This does include Ottomans, Russians, Cossacks and Tartars (anyone who controls real estate in Europe during the period). The last theme can’t have any European armies or allies (no Dutch Colonial allies for the Javanese, or Sebastianic Portuguese, but Ottomans are still OK). You pick an army for the theme and stick with it for the year, but you can modify your army between rounds.

I have multiple armies in each theme and I’m happy to lend troops, the rules and army lists.

Please indicate if you wish to join in, and your choice of theme. Rank them 1 to 4 and I will eliminate the least popular and distribute preferences until a theme has the majority (like elections). My vote is:
1. Landsknechts
2. Asia and Africa
3. Enlightenment
4. Turmoil

Please indicate your interest by 30 June.

Regards, Lyle
Mick.G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Interested Reply with quote

Hi Lyle, I am interested however,
- Ive never played DBR
- Don't have troops (slowly painting an army), rules or army lists
But I am keen to learn.
LyleD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick,

If you'd like, I could bring along a couple of armies to the May meeting and we could go through a game. I can then leave a copy of the rules with you. Any particular period you'd like to try? If the League gets up then I can arrange another couple of practice games before the start.

Lyle
Mick.G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lyle, earliest I can get to a Sunday club meeting is about 2 - 2.30, do you think that will give us enough time for an arvo game?

Otherwise I am happy to travel to other venues and/or play outside club days.

I have played FOGR once with Mr. Stubbs, is DBR anything like it?

Happy to play any period.

Mick.
LyleD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that most games can be finished in two and a half to three hours, so a finish is probable, and a 2.30 start will be fine.

FOGR is a mile away from DBR. FOGR has set units, all units can move, but may be restricted due to tests, units degrade as well as lose bases, and combat will depend on different capabilities of the two bases engaged. DBR has fluid groups, bases have a factor for combat and tactical considerations are applied, the army is divided into commands and generals only influence troops in their command, bases are removed and commands break when they have lost more than a third of their bases.

I'll bring Scots and English for a civil war fight.

Regards, Lyle
leadgend

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested.

I have lots of unpainted stuff for the Landskneckt period so that would be a plus for me to get more of it on the table. My Asian armies don't get much use so that would be good too.

Preferences:
1. Landskneckt
2. Asia/Africa
3. Turmoil
4. Enlightenment
LyleD

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Django. I recently had my Maximilian army finalised as well and they are keen to see action.

Regards, Lyle
leadgend

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LyleD wrote:
Excellent Django. I recently had my Maximilian army finalised as well and they are keen to see action.

Regards, Lyle

I've got a quickplay set of rules called Maximilian. We could give them a spin at some point too. They are kind of a BBDBA sized DBR for the Italian wars period with some extra flavour rules thrown in.
http://balagan.info/review-of-maximilian-fast-play-rules
jonathanmoore

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle, are you sure that's a good idea playing the rules without a whole lot of changes to suit certain people's armies?

Sounds pretty radical to me.

Seriously though- I'd like to Landsknecht or Asia Africa.
LyleD

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django,
I'm happy to give most renaissance rules a spin. The DBR league format should give plenty of time for other games, tournaments etc.

Jonathan,
Good to see you join in. Landskechts seem popular!

Regards, Lyle
jonathanmoore

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landsknecht armies with 90 % pike/foot would be fun.
jonathanmoore

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle, have you got a game for the AM? I'd be up for a DBR game if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: