leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Art de la guerre- Italian Wars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Art de la guerre- Italian Wars Reply with quote

In 28mm!

Fancy fielding armies of France, Burgundy, Imperial Germany, Italian states such as Florence and Venice, or even the Swiss. And all in a bold, manly scale?

It seemed a good idea to let forum readers know about a project being started by myself and a few other club members. We have cast our eyes over collections of (mostly) Perry plastics from their glorious range of European armies/ War of the Roses. We realised that these could be supplemented by a small amount of metal toys (commanders, stradiots, baggage etc.) to raise the numbers necessary for ADLG armies.

In my own case, I can field a 100pt Condotta army with less than 50 miniatures. The smaller lists offer a realistic beginner target but ideas exist to expand quickly to full 200pt armies.

Of course the scale is not to everybody's liking. Personally, I am at a stage where I would prefer to have a slightly larger surface area than that offered by 15mm models. Add to that some of the amazing terrain available and flags (e.g. from Pete's Flags in the UK) and we believe the games could look highly colourful and detailed.

If this sounds like it might be of interest then please catch up sometime- obviously the more players the greater the motivation.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real men are always at least 28mm Jared!

I already have a fairly large collection covering the period of the Italian Wars, including some beautiful Empress Miniatures Landsknechts, and would be happy to be involved.

cheers
Mark
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be what it takes to get me to buy and play ADLG. I have a big pile of Perry and Foundry late Med figures waiting to be painted. Jared, what would a 100 point French army look like? Minimums?
jared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great to hear, Mark. Those Empress models are bloody magic. I can't wait to see how they look as a finished army.

Bruce, seems like a long time since we first discussed this era!

The French Ordinance list is quite a large one but a quick glance would suggest the following 100pt army:

A couple of heavy knights (3 models per unit), 1-2 longbows (6 each), 1-2 pikes (including probably one elite Swiss unit) (8-12 models each unit) and then some heavy foot (8 each), light infantry (2), skirmishing cav (2) and artillery. Minimums are 1 knight and 1 longbow. Similarly to my calculation you end up with around 50 models.
von Lucky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not committing to anything, but if I were... what's the element width? 60mm or 80mm?
jared

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60mm is what all the cool kids use overseas- for competition purposes and the like. It also makes board sizes more accessible.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, 60mm has been the "standard" base width in Ancients/Medieval games for 25/28mm figures since the days of DBM.

cheers
Mark
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I need another painting project, but building an Italian Wars army in 28mm has been on my radar for a while so perhaps I should take the plunge and buy some Perry miniatures. It will probably take me over 6 months before I could field a 100 point force though.

Regards
Martin Morgan
jared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you mean the first six months assembling plastic models?
Great to hear that, Martin. Don't let the timeframe put you off- there are not too many fast painters among us. I might track my progress on the FB page to keep myself focussed.
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting you progress sounds like a good idea. It will give added incentive to those that haven't painted anything Smile.

Did you order your figures direct from Perry miniatures or did you use someone else?

Regards
Martin
jared

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been picking up boxes as I've seen them in stores over the years. Incidentally, I just received my latest box set today. I purchased the WotR bow/billmen from Combat Company in NSW- filling out some mercenary archer and heavy infantry units in my army. There was no great saving but I also wanted to try a different spray undercoat from there as well.
winder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun project!

Do you think that the new warlord plastic landschnekts would fit the period? And which list would be most appropriate for them?
jared

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are also a great looking bunch of miniatures. Truth be told, the army I have in mind is more of an early Renaissance than a late Medieval one. I like the style of those more pike heavy armies. Hopefully one day such lists will be available for this game. In the meantime, the available lists can be 'tweaked'. Landsknechts are available in the latter part of the medieval german army (which does extend until 1519!)
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the plunge and bought a few boxes of Perry plastics. I have even started putting some of them together. One thing I have found is that some of the figures, especially the halberdiers, have dynamic poses that may make it hard to fit four figures to a 60mm base. What do people think about basing the figures 3 to a base, even for heavy foot?

I am going to base all the non-light foot on double bases and I was thinking of using 60mm deep bases for all non-light infantry and for cavalry, as I don't like figures extending over the base edges. I don't think that this will have any effect on game play. What do you think?

Regards
Martin
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my 28mm figures are 3 to a 60mm base width. Squeezing 4 28mm figures into a 60mm frontage, other than perhaps Pikes, just looks cramped in my humble view....

cheers
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: