leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saga 2e

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Saga 2e Reply with quote

Richard and I having completely mastered the new Saga 2e in one game Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes, I thought I might post a few important changes to bear in mind:

Saga Dice:
Unless you have a special Warlord, he/she only generates 1 Saga die.
Warriors generate a Saga die as long as there are at least 4 in the unit.
Levies now generate a Saga die as long as there are at least 6 in the unit.
You may leave Saga dice on your board unused from a previous turn, and they do not reduce the number of Saga dice you roll (save that you can never use more than 8 Saga dice, so if I already have 3 on my board to begin with, I can only roll a maximum of 5 Saga dice).
The second player does not start the game on the first turn with any Saga dice on their board but the first player can only roll 3 Saga dice in their first turn.

Movement:
All moves must be straight save that a mounted L move (not charge) may be by two M moves with a bend in the middle.
If a unit starts in open terrain beyond L of any enemy unit, it can get a free movement activation called a 'Manoeuvre' as its first activation but in doing so it cannot move within L of any enemy unit.
Only a "Charge" can initiate combat and so unless a Saga ability allowing movement includes the word 'Charge' you cannot use it to move into hand to hand.
No 'Side by Side' movement/combat anymore - only one unit can ever attack a single enemy unit.

Fatigue:
All units of whatever type are exhausted on 3 fatigue.
You can now spend 2 fatigue of an enemy unit to cancel its activation.
You can also spend more than one enemy fatigue on each of either raising your armour or lowering the enemy armour.

Saga abilities in combat/shooting:
Starting with the attacker, each player gets the chance to activate a Saga ability or spend an enemy fatigue.
Once a player has 'passed' and not activated a Saga ability or spent an enemy fatigue, his opponent still gets another chance to use a Saga ability or spend an enemy fatigue and the sequence only ends when both players have consecutively passed.

Combat:
After allowing for Saga abilities, your maximum combat pool is 16 - i.e. gone are the days of Blitzkrieg units of 12 Hearth Guards (sigh). After allowing for Saga abilities, your maximum shooting pool is 8.
You cannot any longer sacrifice attack dice for defence dice (unless a Saga ability says you can), but you can now "close ranks" with infantry units to sacrifice half their attack dice to increase your melee save to 4 instead of 5.
Only Hearth Guards (not Warriors) may take a hit to save the Warlord under the Bodyguards' rule.
The Warlord does not automatically cancel the first hit he/she takes but can now gain fatigue (up to the maximum of 3) to cancel hits.

Lots of other changes are scattered through the rules, but these are the ones that struck me as being pretty important to bear in mind. Otherwise everything now is better expressed (on the whole) and the mechanics are cleaner and simpler, so that the game flows very quickly indeed.

cheers
Mark

Last edited by Cawdorthane on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also mercenary and allied units generate Saga dice like normal units subject to size
Lord T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the saga abilities/fatigue section differently.

Step 3 ends ‘when both players pass consecutively’. Have I missed a rule?
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Andrew! You are right, I somehow conflated this with the terrain selection process on page 49. I have edited my original post accordingly.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: