leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Around the Empire in Eighty Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Around the Empire in Eighty Days Reply with quote

Gallant officers - Bold engineers - Proud adventurers - Honourable steamsmiths - Renowned inventors -

All are cordially invited to join the inaugural steam-powered 28mm Tour de Empire held in honour of Her Majesty, Queen Victoria.

The race will be held in three stages - from the green fields of Europe, through the barren deserts of Africa, to the verdant jungles of Asia.

Entry is open to the pilots of all manner of steam-powered wheeled contraptions, from heavy ironclads to wood-panelled landships.

Four such vessels have already been prepared. Surely among the mighty sons of Empire are many who wish to step forwards to command one of these noble chariots, or indeed to supply their own coal-fed conveyance?

Her Majesty herself will be in attendance for the commencement of the race. Whether you intend to participate or merely to spectate, please make your way to Windsor by 11:00 AM (or shortly thereafter) on Sunday May 17th for the twenty-one gun salute that will signify the start of the event.
ara

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

this sounds like great fun. There may be a couple of us who'd like to play... If I was to build one of these steam-powered conveyancing machines, what sort of dimensions would I be looking at?

Have you got any piccies of the sort of machinery we'd most likely be using/facing?
Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm figures for scale. Please excuse the odd unfinished bit! I should have all four of these vehicles ready for race day. The drivers are packed in a different box, but rest assured I have some slightly less anachronistic figures to crew them.

More photos (larger pictures, different angles, detail shots etc) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34344807@N02/
Ian

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to actually reply to your question:

Anyone is welcome to bring a vehicle of their own. We'll fit in as many players as we can. As I said there are four vehicles available if you don't have one of your own.

The vehicles need to be able to hold one crew figure (if you want to use one of mine, all my VSF figures are mounted on the thin plastic inner dials from "heroclix" type bases, which are 34mm diameter circles).

Vehicles may have a weapon (such as a gatling gun, steam cannon, tesla coil or 'regular' cannon) which may be in a turret if you want it to be able to fire in any direction other than straight forwards.

Other than that, as long as they're wheeled and sort-of-obviously steam driven then they should fit the theme. Size-wise, they would ideally fall neatly into one of the following size categories:

3-4" in the longest dimension (this will be a "small" vehicle; harder to hit, but without as strong a boiler as the larger types)

5-6" in the longest dimension (the "medium" size for this game, no real bonuses or penalties)

7-8" in the longest dimension ("large", easier to hit, but also has a stronger boiler so is somewhat less likely to blow up)
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! I have a landship with a 12 pound cannon, never thought they'd be a day I'd have a use for it Smile

But unfortunately I can't make it this weekend - though I look forward to seeing the photos.
Ian

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: We are Amused Reply with quote

Thanks for a cracking game, gents!

Nic's entry (in front) was a Eureka miniature, Lucifer Hardlove in his steam chair. I used one of my scratchbuilt vehicles.

Nine competitors took part in today's three-part extravaganza. There were twists and turns galore, but at the end of the day there could only be one winner.

Left to right: the vehicles of Billy, Lon and Paul. Both Lon and Paul had done a great job of building their own vehicles. The yellow one is another of mine.

Congratulations to Billy for only having his vehicle blown to bits once, and for avoiding the clockwork zombies and scorpions - not to mention the unkind attentions of his heavily-armed gentleman opponents - to reach the finish line in first place.

Ara's vehicle has conspicuously thrown a wheel! Both this and the grey armoured vehicle at the top right were provided by Nic. Richard's scratchbuilt gun carrier is the white vehicle on the right. Ange's vehicle, another one of my scratchbuilds, can just be seen coming on from the bottom right of the screen.

I am uploading photos to my Flickr account as I write this. Over the next hour or two I should get the whole set in place. Feel free to comment on individual photos if there is anything amusing you remember happening in the game that I haven't covered in my brief descriptions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34344807@N02/

The clockwork scorpion of Phineas Crank chases my driver, who has the last laugh as he goes on to win this stage of the race!

Thanks again to all involved for a great game!
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely envious of not being able to make it Ian, I hope to be there next time - your photos are also a very good substitute for those of us who couldn't be there (thanks!).
ara

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

just thought I'd post to thank you for putting on the game. Had a blast... literally! Very Happy

Let me see, how did the races go for me? First one I was fifth on the starter's grid, and I got to watch everyone else blow up at the start. Missed the clockwork zombies trying to sabotage the race, didn't blow up or anything, but did try my darndest to ram anything that got in my way. Think I managed to survive the race to come in fourth.

The second race I got held up at the start as it seemed anything within close range of my steam-tank seemed to want to blowup on me. My boilers were well and truly struggling to sustain the damage coming from the buffoons blowing up their machines around me, while maintaining a steady pace to the finish line. I laughed with maniacal glee when I espied a clockwork scorpion appear in the vicinity of the steamtanks in front of me. Twisted Evil The laughter soon turned to curses though when the scorpion turned its attentions on me. Evil or Very Mad Nevertheless I did manage to crawl into third place.

The third race didn't even really begin for me. As I ramped up the boilers for some more steam pressure, I quickly discovered that my coal had been replaced by goats... Shocked No start for me! Impatient, impertinents behind me couldn't wait for me to clear my decks of the goats and the next thing I knew my steam-contraption was blown off the racetrack by gunfire, to make way for everyone else's conveyances.

How rude! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: