leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vic Ancients Titles 2009 - why only 600 AP for 25mm?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Vic Ancients Titles 2009 - why only 600 AP for 25mm? Reply with quote

Two issues arise for discussion:

As I understand it, the Cancon 25mm FoG comp will be 650 AP as per the Rules and Lists. Usually the LoA tries to match the Cancon conditions and I am not sure why we are not doing this again this year. Was this a mistake in the Argus or a deliberate decision? If the latter, what is/was the rationale?

Last year the LoA 25mm players [except Michael Bornstein - splitter!] all voluntarily agreed to a period limit of Ancients. I for one am keen to do that again if we can achieve a consensus. I can field several 25mm armies in either Ancients or Medievals and am happy to lend if I am given adequate notice.

cheers
Mark
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wasn't advised by anyone that it was only going to be "ancients" in nature and I only arranged for myself and Charlie to play on the Thursday prior to the completion, it would be difficult to play in period.

As Canberra is likely to be "open" 25mm, I will probably put a Medieval force together just to annoy those classical buffs.

In the case of the 25mm, Canberra had not made up its mind (if they have one) at the time that the committee worked out the points cost.

Cheers

Michael

PS The Khazer list I used that you are griping about read as Hsieng Nu/Skythian. They have the same options.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you'd bite about last year - the self imposed Ancients limit was in fact well publiscised on the LoA Forum last year and as the man of a million and one armies in every scale in every period you have no defence!!!

More seriously, Frosty posted to the Forum on 6th August 2009 noting Ross Dawe's decision to allow 25mm FoG at Cancon at 650 AP - see the 'FoG at Cancon' strand on the Forum.

It would certainly assist me, and no doubt every other Vic player wanting to practice FoG 25mm for Cancon, if the LoA Committee would revisit its decision. If there was no other actual reason for playing 25mm at below the FoG recommended AP level, and as I sit here I certainly cannot think of a reason for preferring 600 AP over 650 AP, then there is ample and good reason to restore parity between the Vic Titles and the Cancon format.

Pretty please!

Cheers,
Mark

PS I for one am also happy to run 25mm Medieval at the LoA as a player imposed period limit if people do not have other ideas?
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will discuss with Lyle on Sunday.
I am likely to be playing with Catalan conspiracy in 15mm in any case this year.

Cheers
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer a skola and a jentilmun Guvna!

Many thanks Michael!
LyleD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we broke with the CANCON conditions for our November tournament, but there is no reason we can't have 650 points. This year's values for our tournament was more a continuation of last year's conditions. If CANCON was to go to more exotic points/table sizes then we probably wouldn't follow that. I'd be happy enough to standardise our tournaments at 900 points for 15mm doubles, 800 points for 15mm singles and 650 points for 25mm singles all on a 6'x4' table. Having Lionheart at 750 points didn't seem to make a difference.

If players wanted to voluntarily try to limit armies to a particular time period then that would be fine, although I think if someone wanted to play with their own figures and didn't have an army "in period" it would be harsh to deny them a place in the competition. Alternatively starting next year we could formally move between ancient and medieval periods in 25mm scale each year if people thought that would be a good idea. Perhaps a start would be to create a list of potential armies that are available for loan in the medieval period from those with large collections of figures.

Lyle

Lyle
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of Lyle's points.

If we go [voluntarily] Ancients I can field/lend:

Hellenic Successors
Romans up to c.150 AD
Slave Revolt
Indians
Carthaginian
Gauls/Spanish

If we go [voluntarily] Medieval I can field/lend:
100YW English
Vikings
Scots Isles & Highlands
Normans

Some of these options may be limited by what I take and what figures that leaves over.

Cheers,
Mark
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG !!! Shocked

Did everyone else see 10 x 650 pts in painted 28 mm !!!!

Can anyone beat that Shocked ?

Richard
LyleD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to revive this thread! Who is planning to go into the 25mm competition and do they have a preference for a mostly ancient or mostly medieval event. Mark was kind enough to post his potential loan armies, does anyone else have armies to loan?

Lyle

PS I'll be in the 15mm medieval comp with some form of Anglo-Irish, so don't worry about revealing any secrets.
m.gray

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start I'm sticking with 15 and I did play 25 at the start up comp last year.

Actually FWIW you can put me down as a 15 ancient for November only coz I cant comfortably take the 25's to CanCon.
Incidentally I'm up in Brisbane this weekend playing my beloved Nap's in 25 Empire so at least I'm getting some of the " real stuff "

Michael
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop bragging about your weekend Smile
I'll be 15s in November
Richard
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to play with the big boys again. And this year I promise not to take any army outside the voluntary period (assuming there is one and some one lets me know about it).

650 points seems better than 600 points

For classical I would like to take Later Republican Roman and for the Medieval period; Carolingian Frankish or Early Medieval German.

Can any one assist me with these armies?

Otherwise I will be there with my 15mm equivalents.

Charles
Tristan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15s for me in Nov as well.

Anyone able to provide me with a loan of a Samurai army (Late Heian to Muromachi Japanese) for the event? Otherwise it'll be my (trusty?) ol' Byzantines once more Wink

Cheers Rolling Eyes
jared

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a samurai army you can use- what dates do these eras correspond to?
Frosty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do need to find out 25mm numbers! I would prefer 15mm this year as I want to try out Cancon lists. Having said that I will fill in for 25mm if odd numbers or not enough to run the comp.

From last years players I know Steve Neate is a scratching as he mucked up organizing his scout group camp he runs for the same weekend. And Smithy is still possible and will let us know.

So who else wants to play 25mm and period preference?

Regards
Frosty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: