leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Empire of the Dragon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Empire of the Dragon Reply with quote

Has any one else had a look at the new FOG lists for the Far East?

* Warring States/Western Han looks interesting (I smile here as I have this army)

* Ko Coson Korean is even better. (I am wondering if I can morph my Han)

Both armies feature heavy chariots, skirmishing cavalry and medium "bow (X)" Heavy weapon / crossbow armed infantry.

* Late Heian (Samurai) Japanese.

Nice combinations of mixed foot featuring armoured medium foot with heavy weapons and bow*.

* Song Chinese. At first glance not very inspiring list. That is until you read the fine print. There is an option to upgrade its medium foot to heavy. With this you get lots of protected heavy infantry armed with heavy weapons, making it the only heavy infantry army in the book. This army would be excellent at 1000 points.

For those that don't have the book expect to see lots of medium "bow(x)" supported by skirmishing cavalry and the occasional heavy chariot, cataphract and elephant.

My general feeling is there is a lack of superior infantry in the book. I am suggesting there is bias toward the European armies. For example Creaser’s legions are elite while Qin Shi’s are only average, despite Qin's (Chin) army fighting constantly for 45 years and unifying China for the first time.

Charles

Last edited by Charles on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Bornstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at the various Indian armies, but as I have no Chinese/Korean armies I cannot judge but the rationale for not making Chinese infantry probably stems from them not being the "key" part of the army. The two T'ang lists match my understanding of those dynasty's armies.

We all have some issues with our favourite lists.

Cheers
Martin Morgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out a southern Hindu Indian list (Sinhalese) with 19 Bg's and an inspired commander. Admitedly, alot of it was poor but it had over 90 bases of shooters.

I also like the Koryo Koreans and the Muslim Indian Sultanates
von Lucky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My book is being shipped out today hopefully from Maelstrom - even though I ordered it a month ago! (Admittingly I'm paying peanuts for it.)

Already seen that my beloved Tibetans are neutered.

Happy to play either of you once I have the list to see how they stack up in period.
leadgend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Malays need a bit of rebasing (to medium foot) which only makes the army bigger. Hordes of Medium Impact foot with Elephants in the jungle might do ok... in the open not so much.
Frosty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Exciting to see all the new lists. I want to try some!

Who would like a game next meeting 18/10 starting at 10.00ish? I have Malay, Samurai and Khitan to try out. So anybody else want to try an army from the new book?

Regards
Frosty
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
Hi all. Exciting to see all the new lists. I want to try some!

Who would like a game next meeting 18/10 starting at 10.00ish? I have Malay, Samurai and Khitan to try out. So anybody else want to try an army from the new book?

Regards
Frosty

Malay civil war?
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bring Samurai to play your Malay's. A civil war sounds boring.
See you at 10.00?

Regards Frosty
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok malay v's samurai it is! 10am is fine. I'll get back to you on how many points I can muster (rebasing is still to be done).
leadgend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadgend wrote:
Ok malay v's samurai it is! 10am is fine. I'll get back to you on how many points I can muster (rebasing is still to be done).

I can easily do the 600 point starter list but have to scrape together everything to get 800 points.
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. I'll bring my Malay army too so you can add any figures for the game. All the warriors are still HI but frontage is fine.

Frosty
leadgend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
No worries. I'll bring my Malay army too so you can add any figures for the game. All the warriors are still HI but frontage is fine.

Frosty

They'll match my figures basing then. Wink

I'll work out a not quite so silly 800 point list.
JamesM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree with Ko Choson Korean being a better army than Warring States on the basis that they're all undrilled. Also there's much less variety in a Ko-C Korean army leading to your opponants always knowing the main part of your army and what's in it.. whereas with Warring States, theres a lot of variety in the army, you can run it as a cav shooty army or an infantry based army in the same list.

The upside I guess for Ko-Choson is the extra light foot, and the bow armed medium foot, instead of crossbow, which helps against foot armies slightly, and the superior bow/sword cav, as opposed to the average crossbow/sword cav (though the superiors lack drilled status, making them worse as skirmishers in comparison, due to the lack of expansion.)

In essence ko choson is a bigger army, but worse and much less manouverable, which in my eyes, since i like small manouverable armies of at least decent troops, makes Warring States better in my eyes. Of course everyone has their own playstyles and preferences when it comes to armies, so i'm not saying flat out that Warring States is better, just to me it is.
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ,partly cause it wld look so kewl I am unwilling to give up on Japanese .

As Mark showed with Dacians unprotected MF with heavy weapon are fast an scarey in big BG. I wonder if 8's are large enough .

The other protection I'm giving my 'beta" list is a high number of BGs . With no cav , I can get it out to 15 .

Someone somewhere on the table will have a chopper in your face an they'll have rear support when they do Twisted Evil

Richard
Richard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Warring States , all James points are good but turn the page Very Happy

You can take MF 1/2 Heavy Weapon , 1/2 Crossbow fronted by stakes . Even in the open not even Knights can charge that !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Ancients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: