leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muskets & Tomahawks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Muskets & Tomahawks Reply with quote

This is the latest from Alex Buchel, author of "Saga" and "Over the Top". It is a lovely skirmish scale game set during the French Indian Wars and the American War of Independence.

No, there's no battle boards but the rules do come with a nice set of game cards for order of movement. They look like quick and fun with an inbuilt scenario/character event system which adds colour to your usual shoot em or stick em type skirmish game.

At $50 from War & Peace Games these rules are expensive for a 62 page soft cover rules set, as was "Saga", for that matter. Save for the outside and inside covers, the rules are black & white which is also disappointing. But I really like this chap's game design style and ultimately I am glad I laid out the cash!

Sigh, another great looking rules set to yet further blur my gaming focus at the moment.....

cheers
Mark
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any decent manufacturers of figures for this period?

(Currently replaying Empire TW for the umpteenth time...)
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front Rank miniatures have an excellent range. Old Glory also have a wide range, although their quality is variable, sometimes excellent, sometimes quite yucky. Eureka do some very nice Indians for this period too.

I am motivated to watch the brilliant Daniel Day Lewis "Last of the Mohicans" to get back into this period....

cheers
Mark
steveb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chance to get your FIW figures out Mark! I was glancing at the publication at Eureka on friday, I think it is $50.

The rules cover French Indian Wars and American Revolution (War of Independence) so lots of manufacturers....

FIW has all those Mark mentioned and there is a fine range from:

http://conquestminiatures.com/

AWI has Foundry, Perrys, Eureka, Old Glory 25s, Front Rank and the list goes on.....

Must finish painting SAGA troops first!!!!
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 24 Front Rank Rangers at Little Wars in anticipation of playing this rule set. They are nice figures and should paint up ok.

One manufacturer with a good variety of figures is Redoubt Enterprises.

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=0782455fdf0ac517163c5cf8b2374779

I haven't purchased from Redoubt so cannot rate them yet. But I like the look of their French Marines.

Mark and Steve, how many toys do I need for a typical force? Rangers count as elite, No? I'm hoping I have enough to get started.

cheers
Bruce
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules suggest about 30 a side for a starting force and up to 100 a side for a large game. I am still ploughing my way through the rules again and cannot give a more definitive answer until I have reread the scenario rules with more care. Just too many rules sets for my battered brains to digest at the moment.....

cheers
mark
ara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about brains and digestion...

Can I interest you in some of the fantastic zombie wargaming rules out there, Mark? There's only about four of five rulesets. Laughing
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can mix genres.

Zombie Indians ... anyone?

http://conquestminiatures.com/zombies.aspx
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Begone scions of Satan!
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perrys are about to add AWI Plastics to their range.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=plastics-workbench

Scroll to the bottom of the page. Gotta love all these choices.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone up for a game/play test of this system at the next LoA? This is all part of my quest to have as many sets of different wargames rules for as many periods as humanly possible on the go at once.....

More seriously, it looks like a really fun system with a nice mixture of roleplay and skirmish gaming features.

Needless to say I can provide both sides and am thinking of a mixed force of British Regulars & Rogers' Rangers vs French Couers d'Bois and Huorn Indian Allies.

cheers
Mark
Frosty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the game last week and awesome fun. Smithy has a similar collection and all the different troop types are varied and interesting. My French regulars were wiped to a man out but died gloriously to allow the irregulars / indians to win!

I'm playing 28mm Maurice with Martin in morning so free to play after lunch?

Frosty
Steven Neate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Frosty on this one. Trialling the rules at Smithy's last weekend produced a game with flavour and fun. A mixed force seemes to work best with Regulars, Irregulars, Militia and Indians available. Our Brits fielded no Irregulars (Rangers or a Light Infantry Company for example) so everytime the Irregulars card came up those filthy Couer de Bois swarmed all over us like a plague of brain-eating zombies....

I thought it a well balanced game and the unpredictability of the Event cards and Leader Attributes provide a variety of mechanisms that provide twists and turns throughout the game. For example, we all but lost the game on my first dice roll when I produced the lowest possible score when my largest unit of British Regulars was first fired upon. They promptly ran away and left the whole right centre-flank open. However, the game was declared a draw because my Leader's attribute was to not kill any enemy for the duration of the game, which he didn't as we put him in sight of the reserve troops but mainly to the rear behind a house! Some might call it cowardice but we called it a game-saving manouvre.

There are many lovely figure ranges available in 25/28mm. I typed in French-Indians Wars and Wargaming and came upon a sight dedicated to FIW and AWI.

Steve N
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will definitely organise M&T for pm at the LoA for Frosty and anyone else interested. Let me know if anyone wants a morning game or I will try to organise something else, maybe FoGN...

cheers
Mark
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff & Noah for a hilariously fun game. The rules worked very nicely and had a great feel to them. I strongly recommend these rules.

cheers
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Horse & Musket All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: