leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trafalgar Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
von Lucky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, all this organising will (hopefully) make things go (more?) smoothly on the day.

I'm happy to do my bit, and will therefore be bringing a bag of cotton wool.

What?
ara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I said "Kiss me Hardy!"
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where, or rather what, is your "Hardy"?

[shudder]

Mark
Patonius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been invited into the Kolin game, so will have to bow out of the Trafalgar game.

I would have loved to have played both Sad
ara

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then, I have done a breakdown of ships that I think could work. I added up all of the points of the relative fleets to begin with, and then tried to match them as close as I could to the actual ships we have (going by Tyler's list).

By this, we have 3 first rates, 4 second rates and 9 3rd rates for the Brits.

10 3rd rates (including Bucentaure) for the French.

4 first rates and 5 3rd rates for the Spanish.

British =

Nelson's Line
Victory (1st rate) and Nelson; Britannia (1st rate); Temeraire (2nd); Neptune (2nd); Leviathan (3rd); Conqueror (3rd); Agamemnon (3rd); Africa (3rd)

Collingwood's Line
ROyal Sovereign (1st) and Collingwood; Prince (2nd); Dreadnought (2nd); Belleisle (3rd); Bellerophon (3rd); Mars (3rd); Achille (3rd); Defence (3rd)

3 commands =

(Nelson) Victory, Temeraire, Neptune, Leviathan, Africa

(Collingwood) Royal Sovereign, Belleisle, Mars, Bellerophon, Achille

(Rear) Britannia, Conqueror, Agamemnon, Dreadnought, Defence, Prince

...look okay so far? Will get to the french and spanish tomorrow...
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. Great work, Ara, thanks for that.

I need to hurry up and slap some paint on the last third rate.
ara

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then, the Franco-Spanish fleet. The difficulty here lies with the fact that I wanted to keep the complexity/difficulty of running an allied fleet, with its contingent command problems. At the same time, with only 3 commanders overseeing 19 separate ships, I didn’t want to make it too hard for these commanders.

Because of this, I’ve split the fleet into 3 commands along the line they were dispersed – two larger commands at either end, and the REALLY difficult command – in the middle – given over to Villeneuve and his third raters (French and Spanish).

Centre command
Villeneuve + Bucentaure (Fr 3rd), Redoubtable (Fr 3rd), San Justo (Sp 3rd), Neptune (Fr 3rd), San Leandro (Sp 3rd), Indomptable (Fr 3rd)

North Command
Santisima Trinidad (Sp 1st), Rayo (Sp 1st), Neptuno (Sp 3rd), Formidable (Fr 3rd), Intrepide (Fr 3rd), Heros (Fr 3rd)

South Command
Gravina + Principe de Asturias (Sp 1st), Navarette + Santa Ana (Sp 1st), Monarca (Sp 3rd), Pluton (Fr 3rd), Argonaute (Fr 3rd), Achille (Fr 3rd), Berwick (Fr 3rd)

One thing I was thinking of, was the possibility of ‘handing over command’ of ships to other commanders when they lose their own. For eg. Villeneuve or Nelson (heaven forbid) loses two of his ships in the 2nd turn – so either of the other two commanders can hand over one or two of their own ships to his command. This way, it can help speed things up in terms of running ships, and spread/balance the work out amongst the different commanders.

I think that's it. Still not sure about the balance of things, happy to change things around a bit - shift a ship to the other side etc. The british will definitely have the advantage with the wind, I guess - but then, the franco-spanish will be expecting them this time... Wink
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've printed a few quick reference sheets that can be passed around the table, gathered my markers, dice and measuring tapes, made ship labels, painted my ships, and I just spent the last two-and-a-half hours putting together roster sheets for each ship that includes summaries of their upgrades and special rules (so I'll be damned if we're changing the fleets at this point). Those little summaries will hopefully really cut down on the need to reference the rulebook mid-game, as almost all of the rules were concise enough for me to fit their effects on the rosters. If everyone who owns a copy of the rules could bring them, that would help.

A couple of non-League members have expressed interest, and should be there for all or most of the battle. There may be a bit of shuffling around who controls which ships, but it shouldn't be a problem to have people drop in and out, since the ships will be labelled and have their little summary sheets.

I presume that at least one person will be able to bring a wind compass (someone?) and that Mark will be able to bring Richard's and his own ocean mat.

I think we're ready to go.

What have I missed?
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the GF9 Trafalgar pack of counters and whatnot a while ago, including a compass. It's not a fancy one but it will suffice.
ara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice one Tyler. I actually had a trial run of the rules with John Morgan the other day, just one third rater each, and we were both a bit worried that I'd assigned too many ships for each commander - i.e a lot of book-keeping/tracking of things involved.

To have more players etc on the day will definitely make things a lot easier - spreading the command of ships around - and probably more enjoyable for us all.

I reckon shuffling around of commands/ships is the way to go - always good to be fluid on these things.

I was going to make the offer/suggestion that, rather than play, I could be a referee for the whole game. I'd help everyone with tracking turns and phases, moving ships around, doing measurements, checking the rules, and make calls on wind gauge - i.e make sure the game keeps ticking along for everyone without getting bogged down in rules/micromanagement. I'd probably be happiest doing this, as long as I have a beer in my hand while I'm doing it.

I'll probably also bring along some cotton wool to track shooting, templates and rulers (thought a see-thru plastic ruler works better than tape measures).

Things you forgot, Tyler? A really good camera! We'll definitely need piccies of this as I reckon 35 ships on the table will look very very nice. Might even post piccies on wargamerau/TMP for a bit of shameless promotion of LoA. Wink
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Tyler, but I won't be there with all 9 ships.

I'll have at best three - I'm a slow painter at the best of times and stuffing up the painting a few weeks ago set me back.

Am appreciative of all your effort though.
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No drama Karsten

I will have Stubbsy's fleet with me.

cheers
Mark
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, Richard Stubb's fleet should make up for the shortfall. And don't worry Karsten, that's perfectly understandable. Well done on starting from scratch on your fleet, it's appreciated.

I've borrowed my girlfriend's camera. It comes in a masculine white leather case, so I'll be sporting that all day.

One thing I do lack is a roll of tape to stick the labels to the bases of the ships with (they then stick out from the back of the base). If I see a newsagency on my way tomorrow I'll duck in, but if anyone could bring some simple sticky tape, that would help.
ara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will bring some sticky-tape and blu-tack if that helps.
von Lucky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for a very enjoyable, if at times chaotic, game.

Thanks in particular to Tyler for getting the ball rolling and kissing Hardy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: