leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian Wars Campaign in 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the best troops in Europe (alright, of course there are a few contenders but we swiss certainly think so), of course there'll be others willing to pay for the Swiss's services as well of course.
Ian P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lyle.

Any specific guideline on year, or is anything in the Italian wars era allowed (of course staying within the restrictions within your particular list)?

I also assume that the defensive and offensive armies must each in their own right be a legal list (not one 1400 pt list split in two halves), and that they must be consistent with each other as far as year etc is concerned.

Personally I think it would be quite interesting to reflect the changing years and see how we cope with loosing or gaining various options from the armies and seeing how we handle the changes. But maybe that is a complication to far!

Ian.
LyleD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first campaign year will be 1508, so armies in that year can use any option that is available then.

The way the army lists will work is as simple as possible. e.g. I'm the Spanish player and in the first year I decide to have a defensive army of 600AP with 2 generals and an offensive army of 800AP with 4 generals. I then provide 200AP and 1 general from my offensive army to my Papal ally.

I then create 2 600AP lists for my two armies using options available in 1508. Pope Bruce then creates an allied contingent up to 200AP from the Spanish allies list. Normal rules for designing the lists apply and players can't exceed the maximum number of bases or go under the minimums that apply.

The only exception to the normal army creation is that you can have 5 generals as long as one of these is an ally loaned to you for that year by another player.

Allied contingents are provided by players in the campaign, not by looking at the army list book. Pope Bruce has to rely on me loaning him a Spanish ally, not choosing to have one as shown in the Papal list for this period Crying or Very sad . Conversely if Pope Bruce negotiates an alliance with Noah and Noah loans him an allied contingent, then Bruce might find himself the proud owner of an armoured, elite kiel Twisted Evil , when that isn't a possibility using the army lists.

I decided that players will just declare how many points are in their armies and how they distribute the generals in a particular year. Once the battles are determined they can then just build up a legal army. I didn't want to have players keep track of units, or upgrading them as a result of games etc.
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lyle, it all makes sense so far.

Thanks too Michael for describing the Papal list. It looks like I will have to buy a few more toys with all those average types there.

cheers
Bruce
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to build some FF for my Papal army as it looks like I may need them. Is this period too early for gabions?

And does anyone make a Pope figure in 15mm?

cheers
Bruce
LyleD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=274659 would indicate gabions are okay. Personally I think you should have a scratch-built enclosed litter for your Pope as an early popemobile. I'm sure there would be plenty of bishops you could use. On the other hand Julius II was well known for donning armour, so a gendarme would be as good especially if surrounded by appropriate monks, priests, bishops and cardinals (perhaps someone does a Richelieu you could use).

Lyle
jonathanmoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka do gabions at a dollar a pop.
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lyle, I have just ordered a Carroccio from the Mirliton Communal Italian range. That ought to give something of the flavour.

Thanks Jonathan, I already have a bunch of Eureka gabions purchased for an ACW project.

Now I just need to find some time to paint.

cheers
Bruce
LyleD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campaigners,

Just a small correction to the campaign rules. If both armies are over 700AP then the battle will be fought on a 6 x 4 table size (previously the rules said at leat 800AP and as that is the maximum army size the opton would never be used), but everything else remains the same.

Lyle de Cardoba
LyleD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first orders are in and battles will now commence! There were a range of different strategies evoked, some nations had their invading forces as the strong army (Venice and the Empire), some had their weaker arms on the attack (France and the Papacy), while mine were more evenly split.

The Swiss have remained in their mountainous stronghold (obviously no one wanted to pay their exhorbitant prices Very Happy ), while the Papacy has seen fit to only provide an allied contingent to the Spanish.

France has sought to chastise the Duke of Savoy by attacking Turin, Venice looks to teach the republican Florentines a lesson, while the Empire and a combined Papal-Spanish army have sought to teach the Venetians an even harsher lesson for their aggression Shocked .
LyleD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fuller report will be provided for the Argus, but the three battles all achieved a result. A large Venetian army found the hastily assembled Florentine mercenaries and defeated them easily Embarassed . Unfortunately that left them vulnerable to a Papal-Spanish invasion that rode it's luck to victory Shocked . The French slightly outnumbered the Savoyard army, but were defeated Crying or Very sad . Meanwhile the Imperial army under Maximilian I besieged and captured the city of Udine Laughing .

The map of Italy is slowly being redrawn Wink.

Standings:
Spain - Lyle (6 cities and victory in battle) 15
Venice - Steve (4 cities, victory in battle, Spanish C-in-C killed) 14
Imperialist - Michael (6 cities) 12
France - Ian (5 cities) 10
Papacy - Bruce (5 cities) 10
Swiss - Noah (5 cities) 10
LyleD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vacancy has opened for a player with ferocity and a thirst for gold as Noah had to abandon his role as the Swiss. Pressure of school and an uncertain ability to regularly attend League meetings leading to this unfortunate turn of events Sad .

So, who wants to be the Swiss!!
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the time commitment is not too heavy, I would be interested....

cheers
Mark
LyleD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

In terms of time commitments there is a maximum of two battlesper campaign year, one offensive and one defensive. Campaign circumstances can dictate that you fight no battles.

I'd be looking to have one FOGR game per player per meeting, leaving time to be involved in other things.

I'll send you the campaign rules.

Regards, Lyle
LyleD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still looking for a player to take oevr the Swiss from Noah. Do I have any takers?

Lyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Renaissance All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: