leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siege of Lothlorien - WoTR March Meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Siege of Lothlorien - WoTR March Meeting Reply with quote

Mark R, I have moved this discussion from the Ancients sub-forum.

Karsten and I are contemplating playing the Siege of Lothlorien scenario, page 288 of the rule book. It will be scaled down a bit and the relief force will be Dwarves rather than Ents (as I want to use my new toys). But otherwise we propose playing the scenario as written.

Interested?

Next question. Can you provide a few toys for the Evil faction? With our combined forces, Karsten and I can easily get to 2000 plus points of Orcs, Trolls and Wargs, but a few more would be welcome.

So far we have

Kharmul
23 companies of Orcs
9 companies Warg Riders
Mordor Troll Chieftain and 6 (!!) of his friends
1-2 more Ringwraiths as needed (though we are trying to limit the number of legendary heroes)

I can match that lot with Good forces. So the tables will be groaning under the weight of all that plastic Very Happy

For anyone else reading this. So far we have 3 commanders for the day. A 4th (or more) would be very welcome. Its an afternoon game.

cheers
Bruce
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking March LoA, are we not?

I can certainly supply the 2 extra Ringwraiths (on Fell Beasts or horse?).

Would you like a Mumak and Haradrim crew?

More Orcs (how many to a company?)?

I could supply a few more Trolls but we seem to have an excess of riches there already...

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at the March meeting.

In regards to forces are you able to provide a 1500 point force, which:
- has one Ringwraith (mounted however you wish);
- has no other Lengendary Formations or Heroes; and
- is primarily drawn from the Mordor or Misty Mountains list (though it may include core or rare formations for other evil lists)?

If you don't have a WotR force (and just bits for LotR skirmish), what can you provide, or are you happy just to drive forces from our collections?

Gentlemen - I will be there on Sunday to discuss the above.
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I won't be there this Sunday. Gentlemen, come up with a list that seems right for the scenario and I'll provide the Good opposition for March (and read up on the ambush rules). If you only get to 2000 or so points of Evil, that may do. Karsten, your list so far has 14 manouvre elements. The Evil generals will have lots to do.

Galadriel and her companies will be ready for whoever dares enter the woods.

Mark, there are 8 figures per foot company, 2 per mounted.

Re the table. We are looking at a 6x8. The League has plenty of trees but I will bring along a suitable river.
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mumak and Haradrim crew

Please gods, NOOO.
Brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm available the March meeting and, after my first game of WotR against Karsten yesterday, I'm quite keen. Thus I am offering my services to push a few companies around, if required.
Bruce Kelsall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, sorry the Lothlorien game is off. I will be at the League in the morning, but real life and family and all that mean that I have to leave in the arvo. I have already let Brad and Karsten know.

I would be keen to do this game some time in the future - or any LoTR mega game for that matter. Between us all we have a large host of toys - too seldom seen on the table.

cheers
Bruce
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast......

Anyone who was going to play WotR up for Dystopian Wars or Dystopian Legions? I can supply both sides...

Maybe even Bolt Action or Muskets & Tomohawks (not enough energy/time to reread Witchfinder General, but definitely up for that sometime soon too?).

cheers
Mark
Cawdorthane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great game today Brad & Karsten, thanks. I definitely think no more than one magic-user per side and only one Epic/Legendary hero is the way to go with WotR. Like most GW games, the basic mechanics of WotR are clean and elegant, creating a fun but nevertheless rather subtle game. But it is the power of the Uber Characters that slows things down and detracts from an otherwise excellent system.

I am definitely up for more of WotR. Maybe I will trot out my Dwarves next time.

cheers
Mark
von Lucky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - it was a good game and as our first use with magic it shows how over (and under) powerful it can be.

I think that Bruce has some modifactions, which would be good to have on here for future reference. The size of game (1000-1500 points) works well for the table size and time frame.

Looking forward to more games in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: