leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index leagueofancients.org.au
League of Ancients

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hi, Thought I'd introduce myself.

Having stuck my head in at the last meeting I have since coresponded with Lyle and will be signing up at the next meeting.

I've been inspired by FoG N and everything I have seen of it so far into ordering the FoG N rules along with both Napoleonic expansion books. Unfortunately these are being carried by the world fatest carrier pigeon so won't arrive for a couple of weeks.

Interweb research has given me enough info to start rebasing my various AB figures (although that has had to be suspended while I wait on some Litko bases to arrive Rolling Eyes ). It seems however that at the end of the process I'll have a complete French 1813+ Inf Div and a complete Prussian 1813+ Inf Div, along with various other bits n' pieces Very Happy

Quick querry though - Skirmish Cav. Rules state 2 castings to base. Is this how people at the club have generally based them? Doesn't seem all that visually different to the formed 3 casting base, but I guess if based as 1 casting it looks too much like an officer attachment (?).

Anyway, look forward to clashing lead with some of you soon Very Happy

Daryl Hosking
Daryl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I've found answer in Slitherine Forums. In a nutshell Cav don't change element basing when skirmishing.

With my fat pigeon still carrying my rules tome I summarised what I coud find regards scale and basing:

20min game turn

Basing

Base Elements (15/18mm):
40mm wide x 30mm deep for
○ infantry (formed 8 models 4 wide x 2 deep to a base and skirmishers 3 or 4),
○ cav (formed 3 models to a base except Iregular Light Cv (ie Cossacks) 2 or 3 figs to a base),
Cavalry skirmishers don't need to 'change bases' when in skirmish formation. Regular LC can only be in skirmish formation if they are in extended line in which case they will always count as skirmishers (so Regular LC always keep their 3 figures to a base), while Irreg LC (ie cossacks) are always in skirmish formation whether they are in extended line or tactical (so Irregular LC always keep their 2 or 3 figures to a base).
○ all attachments (Officer, Skirmisher, Cav, Artillery).
A skirmisher attachment can be used to model a whole battalion skirmishing.
○ Medium Artillery (single casting per base)
40mmx40mm for commanders
40mm x 40(+)mm or as deep as needed to accommodate casting for Heavy Artillery (single casting per base). Deeper than Medium Arty depth to represent the space taken up by the additional caissons required to support them.
ADCs no base size specified but best to be as small as possible to prevent clutter.
Line of Supply 60mm x 60mm scene[/list]
I have some flocked but blank bases that I use to maintain the 'footprint' of units that are spent. I use these for abandoned artillery as well since you can park other units on them.

Formation Representations

FoG Units represents a group of battalions which could be any of an actual brigade, a regiment , demi-brigade or simply just a group of battalions.
Large Inf units (2000 to 3000 real world effectives) are 6 bases (3x2). i.e. each Inf Base = 333 to 500 real world effectives.
Small Inf units (1200 to 2000 real world effectives) are 4 bases (2x2). i.e. each Inf Base = 300 to 500 real world effectives.
Small Artillery Units are 2 bases.
A Rifle attachment, or the unit having a Rifle Special Ability usually represents the presence of about 300 Rifles within the unit, not that ALL of the unit is armed with Rifles. Usually a Light Infantry unit will receive the Rifles Special Ability rather than a Rifle attachment as the attachment would increase the point value disproportionately beyond its actual effectiveness.
For cavalry a base is roughly 165 troopers (ie 55 men per casting).

e.g. In the case of the Brunswick division, about 6,000-ish troops including 300 Rifles within the Jaeger 'Brigade', it could be represented by 2 large units or 3 small units one of which is the Jaeger Brigade has a Rifle Special Ability.

A Light Infantry regiment is made up of 2 skirmish bases and 2 standard bases, although they can fight in full skirmish order by replacing the standard bases with another 2 skirmish bases. Light infantry are normally depicted with 1/2 of their bases (2, or 3 for a large unit, of the bases) having skirmishing figures on them (the front rank if in tactical formation). If light infantry change to skirmish formation, replace the other half of the bases with spare bases depicting skirmising figures (ie all 4/6 bases will show skirmishing figures).
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daryl ,

I have Cossacks and run them 2 to a base , I think that works

I have a spare "Triumph of Nations" you can buy if you want/can adjust your order .

Dean Bedlington at Olympian Games can supply pre-cut magnetised FoG N bases http://olympian-games.com/

You are welcome to join in the various FoG N games , no troops needed . Playing the game will help you work out your lists .
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl, any time you're keen for a game outside of league meetings, let me know and we can try and set something up. I can supply the figures.

Also if you're keen to get involved we can accommodate you in the 1813 campaign. There's no need to have troops or a rule knowledge - the aim of the campaign is to get people involved and learning so there are quite a few newbies playing.
Daryl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, love to take any part in the 1813 campaign you have use for. Preferebly French, Prusian but whatever you need.

I really want to read through the rules before trying a game but the rules and books are already in transit and should be here before next meeting Very Happy
Richard Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a pm with your details and we can chat about campaign logistics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    leagueofancients.org.au Forum Index -> Napoleonics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: